Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you measure Unique

Boolit Buddy

How do you measure Unique

Hi all, been reloading for over 40 years but just got into casting and shooting .45 Colts a couple of years ago. I love to use Unique powder for my mild to medium loads but as I shoot more I need to load more and Unique is really slowing me down.
    I can't get my powder measure to throw consistent charges (they vary +/- .2 grains) and have had to resort to measuring every round.
    Just wondering how you guys are measuring your flake powders. I could go to a spherical like HS 6 but I would rather stay with Unique. Am I just being too picky about my loads ?

Boolit Master

I have no problems using my Uniflow.

Boolit Bub
    I use a Uniflow too and have no problems.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    When I reload 45LC's and have a 0.2gr difference - IMO, consider it loaded because the target will never know the distance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I use a RCBS LIL DANDY.
    I dispense 10 loads and weigh. Then divide by 10 to see the avg weight. If it is ok for avg weight I use the charges from that rotor. I just live with the variation because most of my shooting is off hand plinking.

I have used a mountain of Unique, Red Dot and Green Dot in shotshell loads. The MEC charge bars are not nearly as good as a metallic ammo powder measure. But those 3 powders have worked fine for tens of thousands of skeet loads.
    Last edited by EDG; 02-17-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Tap your crank handle gently two or three times against the stop on the "Fill Side" before you dump - but of course weigh three or four dumps to check weight and consistency.

Banned

I use a Belding & Mull. Zero problems and accurately slices powder, no tapping anywhere necessary.

Boolit Master
    Very little problems with uniflow orLee’s perfect powder measure
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    In three different measures I haven't had a problem. A light tap to fill the measure, another light tap to shake all the flakes out into the case. Like John Boy said, +/-.2 in "mild to medium loads" is nothing to worry about.
    My Hornady manual shows Unique loads 'stepping' up in .4-.7 grain increments with cast boolits. Two tenths either way won't send you into proof load or squib territory.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Dillon measure on a SDB for 45 colt gave me enough repeatability for cowboy shooting. Rifle stuff I have used Lyman 55, RCBS Uniflow, and Redding BR-3. Currently use a Redding BR-30, all worked but the BR-30 is the most consistent--and for the price it should be!

Boolit Master
    I use to use a Uniflow with the small chamber....no problems. Now I use a Dillon SDB for about all pistol loads...very consistent. For small batches I use a Little Dandy...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

The 55 and both the Lee bench mounted Classic (now called Deluxe) and the progressive mounted Autodrum have all been very consistant with Unique for me.
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C-dubb View Post
    Hi all, been reloading for over 40 years but just got into casting and shooting .45 Colts a couple of years ago. I love to use Unique powder for my mild to medium loads but as I shoot more I need to load more and Unique is really slowing me down.
    I can't get my powder measure to throw consistent charges (they vary +/- .2 grains) and have had to resort to measuring every round.
    Just wondering how you guys are measuring your flake powders. I could go to a spherical like HS 6 but I would rather stay with Unique. Am I just being too picky about my loads ?
    Sorry I have to ask because you didn't mention it...Are you using the SMALL drum?

Boolit Grand Master

I have seven powder measures - including a Lyman 55, pistol powder measures, and Unique has had various problems in every one. I only use my Belding and Mull for unique.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I have ten or twelve powder measures, not sure. I use lots of Unique and since I acquired the RCBS Little Dandy I use it and I have found it so consistent that I no longer bother to weigh. Of course I am talking only of pistol rounds.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    I use the "small drum" in my Uniflow. I'll be honest though I love Unique it and Bullseye are my two "go to" powders but they, Unique more than Bullseye, do not dispense as accurately as finer granule powders.

I have seen +/- 2/10 grain but not typically any worse. For my own personal uses which is recreational shooting with mild cast or j-words loads this is totally acceptable.

Motor

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I use an old uniflow with the large drum . The over/under was a problem for me .
    I cut out a primer tray slip cover and punched a half inch hole in the center and cut it edge to center and made it a funneled baffle .

I flipped the the handle so it lifts to drop and drop the handle each throw . I throw about 5-6 charges when I change a setting then 1-3 for the scale .
    I throw 5 in cases 1 to scale , 9 more 1 to scale , 14 more 1 to scale , the balance of 50 , 1 to scale .
    Above 1/4 or so of the reservoir it throws within .07 over/under .
    I check 3 per 50 if there are no changes such as a refill or adjustments .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

+/- 0.2gr using Lee Auto Disk with larger disk. All good for my plinking loads, but I don't use Unique for my hot loads as error is more of an issue at those levels. The variation is larger using smaller holed disks. I will probably stop using it after I use up what I have left. So many comparable and even better powders for me that meter much better.

Boolit Grand Master

I have metered unique with several measures Harrels shutzen model, very good .1 grn or less. redding br 30 also very good at .1, belding and mull good but slow, rcbs uniflow large drum (only one I have) with micrometer adjustment. Fair.2 grns . With most powder measures a little experimenting / testing helps. 1 is fill the hopper with unique and set adding this back to hopper. when set. throw and weigh charges You should find a range on the hopper that does the best as to consistency. As the powder volume in the hopper changes so does the weight filling the cavity. MArk the 2 points with a piece of tape for future reference. A simple baffle can be cut to spread out the hoppers effect. I have used old plastic pop bottles. A simple vee shape with radioused ends and a small hole cut on each side. this keeps powder from bearing directly on the cavity. The baffle can be 1 hole and slanted or 2 holes and vee shaped make one of each and test again. If you want to really test try with different sized holes and spacings. Make the original and use masking tape on both side to block of the old holes and punch new ones. On some powders a baffle can make a big difference. Also test at different heights for the baffle.

Last is a powder measure needs to be operated smoothly and the same way each time. Consistancy of operation goes a long ways to consistant charges.

Boolit Master
    My Uniflow small drum variation stays under .05g at about 11g per throw with Unique but every few throws I'll be cutting powder. Enough that it's nice to have the measure bolted down.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast