Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Auction and gun show finds...

Boolit Master

Auction and gun show finds...

Hi...
    I have been on a bit of a buying spree here of late.
    Mostly at auctions, but also at gun shows.
    Seem to keep finding good deals lately.
    Couple of weeks ago, I bought a Sako L57 that had been rechambered to .308 with a Shultz&Larsen bull barrel for $425.
    Last week, I won an auction for a couple of rifle die sets that look unused for only $25.
    Today, I won an auction for a nearly pristine Hornady LNL progressive press complete with a bunch of accessories for $200.
    I intend to set it up for small primer only. I already have one set up for large primer.
    Probably go to another auction at the same auction house tomorrow for an auction of several hundred firearms. Some really nice guns at the preview this morning.
    My son and I will probably go there tomorrow... don't know if I will buy anything but sometimes you stumble into a good deal. It seems I am on a bit of a roll right now so I'm going to see what happens.

Boolit Master

Good Luck!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    375, you are on a roll. Good luck is upon you. Wish you all the best. If you don’t mind, what state is this big auction in ? I don’t believe I have ever been to a firearm auction.
    Good luck and bring home a beauty.

Mike

Boolit Master

take LOTS of cash

Boolit Master
    We have an auction house about 20 miles away that has regular sales of estate firearms. These auctions usually close with the buyer bidding more than the normal value of the firearm. The worst case of this I have ever seen was an event about 60 miles south of where I live. The local sheriff's department was selling off over 200 firearms that they had confiscated. One of my friends talked me into going to the sale believing we could buy anything we wanted there for low money. I warned him that auctions bring out the boy in a man and everyone there would try to outbid everyone else just so they could win. That is what happened. People came in to the auction from 4 states with the same hopes - to find a bargain. Once the bidding started auction fever took over. The items at auction, from used to heavily used, sold for more money than would buy the same item brand new in a store (if still in production). Final prices were crazy high. The auction lasted about 3 hours, but my friend was ready to leave after the first half hour. While online auctions get busiest in their last few minutes, little else compares to a live auction for the entertainment factor.

Boolit Grand Master

Thin Man, I see that here to with autions. Guns hunting gear and reloading equipment usually bring more than new cost. Its the new buyers they have the mentality its a contest and wont lose out. I don't know how many times Ive heard I won that one at an auction, If the guy had done his homework on the item he would know he was $50.00-$150.00 over the going rate. Last pistol I saw sell at the local auction house was a 475 wildey, on several closed online auctions this gun with presentation case brought $1800.00, at the auction the gun card board box and manual brought $3500.00. The ammo and spare mags dies were sold off seperatly from the gun. Ive seen single shot shotguns bring over $200.00

One of the reasons used to be no back ground checks or paper work was required, now most do the background check and 4473 on firearms sales so the no paper work is not there any more.

Boolit Master

Same luck with auctions here.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Could you tell us what State this is in? Here in Pa, we have the same estate type auctions and if you go to them often you can get some very nice buys on some very nice guns. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    We have an auction house about 20 miles away that has regular sales of estate firearms. These auctions usually close with the buyer bidding more than the normal value of the firearm. The worst case of this I have ever seen was an event about 60 miles south of where I live. The local sheriff's department was selling off over 200 firearms that they had confiscated. One of my friends talked me into going to the sale believing we could buy anything we wanted there for low money. I warned him that auctions bring out the boy in a man and everyone there would try to outbid everyone else just so they could win. That is what happened. People came in to the auction from 4 states with the same hopes - to find a bargain. Once the bidding started auction fever took over. The items at auction, from used to heavily used, sold for more money than would buy the same item brand new in a store (if still in production). Final prices were crazy high. The auction lasted about 3 hours, but my friend was ready to leave after the first half hour. While online auctions get busiest in their last few minutes, little else compares to a live auction for the entertainment factor.
    If that is the auction house and auction I am thinking of, it also had online bidding. I was watching several items and like you said - the prices for heavily used items exceeded or nearly exceeded new prices. crazy.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    The auction is in Pennsylvania in the Gettysburg area.
    Redding's Auction.

Boolit Master
    A good auctioneer and a couple of bid pullers can get double for stuff.......people get desperate after driving 50 miles ,and dont want to go home emptyhanded......i used to buy industrial stuff for a business,and the sayins was "if the wife and kids are sittin in the car/truck/tractor....forget it,or pay too much"....I had a licence too,and the big challenge was to clear bric a brac,cause unsold items were bad news.......I loved onsite auctions...clear the lot ...no reserve......very dismal in bad times tho,everything for scrap,or even left unsold ........auctions in bad times.......thats where the bargains are.

Boolit Master
    I live about 15 minutes from reddings. they have such a turn out they don't need to pull bids out of the air. I have been buying guns from them for 25 plus years. they have a lot of gun auctions coming up. you can look thm up on auction zip. they run for two days sat. and sunday.

Boolit Master
    Bid pullers dont need to pull dud bids,they pull waverers and anyone who fidgets is likely to draw their attention......especially guys with girlfriends ,a good puller can get a bidder who has dropped out back in to the action......ever seen the teams at one of the "crazy" auctions where punters pay $100 for an empty box?

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Auctions can go either way....at some people will bid things up way more than they are worth but at others good buys can be had. You need to go to lots of them is all. I have made some exceptional buys at auctions and others I pass on everything. Just like Ebay....pick the price you're willing to pay and don't exceed it. If others want to pay more let them.

Boolit Master

I go to a local estate auction every 2 weeks. I print the list, then go to the preview. Put down my highest bdi on the list and just stop when I get there. Sometimes I get some very good deals. My son went with me last time, as he likes old video consoles. After figuring out the seller's premium and tax we figured 80.00 was a fair price. Someone else bid 90, and he was upset, but I told him, why pay more here than you can get the same thing on e-bay for cheaper? idder's frenzy is a fun thing to watch, but I won't participate in it.

Boolit Master
    springfield and shooter know howto handle live auctions. that was the way I learned about auctions and bidding by going with my father.

Boolit Buddy
    During one of the many downturns of the oilfield I went looking for a drill press at an defunct dive business' going-out-of-business auction. During the 'prep' period I walked around just to see what they had and, lo and behold, there were some boxes marked "Hercules Powder Co.--Houston,TX". Laid out for auction. Binary explosives... like big gelcaps... white on one end and red on the other. Break the membrane between them and mix to activate. Thought this was more than a little strange... one box open and when I extracted one of the gelcaps, it was pink. All over. Had a quick word with the auctioneer.. on my way out... and told him he had a little problem and to call the sheriff's dept for a little help. Meanwhile, don't sell any of the pretty tubes and get them away from the crowd. Didn't hear any bang but I was out of earshot pretty quick. Who knew auctions could be so exciting?

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I went back to Redding's Auction on Sunday.
    Over 400 firearms were auctioned off and there were at least 449 bidders. I know because bidders 449 was sitting next to me part of the day.
    I got some decent deals on few things like 3000 Federal Match Small pistol magnum primers for $22 per thousand, a set of RCBS 7x57 dies for $15 and a decent set of faux ivory grips for a Ruger Blackhawk for $25.

I bought a few other things but no find. Every firearms I was interested in went for more(and in some cases) much more than I could buy the same thing fog in a gun shop.
    Not quite sure what some people were thinking but it is what it is.
    My son and I had a great time and got to handle and admire some nice firearms.

Boolit Master
    Yes, the auctions can be brutal. But just because the sale mentions "estate" does mean it will be overpriced. I occasionally watch for estate "sales" where the properties at sold by direct contact between the seller and buyer, usually are conducted at the deceased's property, and are not an auction sale. These are the events I enjoy visiting. One can view the entire selection and even fabricate a mental image of the former owner's preferences in firearms and shooting equipment. Several times I have found materials for sale that are available only rarely because they sell so quickly, commonly to the first person who sees them. I have bought materials at these sales that were a pure delight to finally find.

As for this topic, I have already instructed SWMBO (several times) how to dispose of my stash. When I drop she will be approached by friends and strangers alike wanting to buy my estate items or even just see what is available. Some will ask to buy a single item, others will brag about offering big money for the entire lot. Politely refuse them all with the explanation that sale arrangements have already been made. They can see and buy whatever they want at the sale. As for the actual disposal, she and the daughters (and their husbands) have first pick (with quantity limits imposed) of whatever is there. After that - everything will be sold at a public auction. This will bring her the top dollar for everything, and it all will be disposed of at one time. I've made casual preparation for this with a local FFL dealer (same shop where I now work part-time in retirement). He has conducted several auctions lately and has impressed me with his handling of each sale. I like having buyers vetted (4473's and background checks) for their buys, this to protect my family from controversy. I still consider ways to improve on this plan but for now it seems satisfactory. If anyone has a comment or suggestion on this process, I'm listening. Thanks.