RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Relocating to another State CCP

Boolit Mold

Relocating to another State CCP

I will be moving from Florida to Alabama. I know they reciprocate with each other on concealed carry. When would I have to get a new card from Alabama? Or could I continue to renew my FL permit? Anybody been through this?

Boolit Master
    I would think since you'll be a resident of Alabama you'd need a LTC issued by the state. You're going to get a new licence to drive from Al. Don't know if your Fla LTC would be invalid since you moved out of the state. IANAL nor do I play one on TV or radio

Boolit Buddy

We recognize a CCP from Florida but I think it would be wise to renew your CCP in the county in Alabama you will live in. Your new CCP will need to be from Alabama since you are going to be a permanent resident.

Boolit Buddy

We recognize CCP from Florida however, I think that it is required for you to renew yours in Alabama since you are going to be a permanent resident of the state.

Boolit Master
    Even if you move within the same state you must notify the CCP officiating branch of the address change.

It will do no good to tell FL that you moved to AL. They will cancel your permit. Thus, you need to apply to AL once you have moved.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys, I’ll just go through the application process for AL.
    Dix, does AL have service centers so you don’t have to do it by mail? That is something FL had started just prior to my last renewal. It was very painless compared with what you used to have to do.

Moderator Emeritus

I have my Florida concealed from when I was living in NJ. When I moved to WV last year I just had my address changed to my new place. There is no address on the CCW card. I use it for when I travel to Virginia as I do not have a WV CCW yet and yes I checked with Virginia State Police to make sure it was valid and covered me in Virginia.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    Even if you move within the same state you must notify the CCP officiating branch of the address change.

It will do no good to tell FL that you moved to AL. They will cancel your permit. Thus, you need to apply to AL once you have moved.
    Florida issues non resident concealed carry permits. I don't know why they'd cancel his permit. I would guess it would go from resident to non resident status. This changes reciprocity with some states that only honor resident permits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Florida issues non resident concealed carry permits. I don't know why they'd cancel his permit. I would guess it would go from resident to non resident status. This changes reciprocity with some states that only honor resident permits.
    Good points Icki.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Check each states laws on Concealed Carry Permits. I though about changing my residency from La to Tx since I have a residence in both states. My Conceal Carry Permit is issued from La, so is my drivers licence.
    If I remember correctly, as soon as I change my residency, I would have to turn in my conceal permit to LA. Many or most states require you to to take a new complete course that is certified by that state and then you would have to apply for a concealed permit. Your wait time may be several weeks to longer before you could legally carry concealed again.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by madmtt View Post
    Thanks guys, I’ll just go through the application process for AL.
    Dix, does AL have service centers so you don’t have to do it by mail? That is something FL had started just prior to my last renewal. It was very painless compared with what you used to have to do.
    Contact the local sheriffs office in the county you move to. They can tell you where you need to go. In my county, I go to the sheriff's annex and take care of it there. It may be in your county courthouse too. That's where ours used to be.

Boolit Master

What has NY got to do with it? In the not too distant past, a court case, Federal level I believe- determined that one did not have to be a NY resident to have a NY CC permit. If Federal, should apply to other states.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Why don't you go talk to the Sheriff in your new county? See what he wants. He is the person that is going to throw you in jail if you don't do it right. Opinions here are just WAGs.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Why don't you go talk to the Sheriff in your new county? See what he wants. He is the person that is going to throw you in jail if you don't do it right. Opinions here are just WAGs.
    Some states, it's the sheriff. Other states, it's the state police. in Louisiana, you never deal with the sheriff unless for finger printing. The state police are the ones issuing the permits for us.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

actually a better link..... with Alabama specific information...
    https://www.usacarry.com/alabama_con...formation.html

ADMIN

If you are no longer a resident in the state that your CWP is issued in then it is not valid.
    You would need to contact Fla CWP to see if they can swap it to a non-resident.

In SC your CWP is only valid if you have a SC issued drivers licence or SC issued ID.
    This is because you could be issued a CWP and then move out of state.

Also, some states only recognize the resident issued permits, not the non-resident issued.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the information. Between this thread and my own research it appears AL permits are all done through your Sheriffs office in your county of residence.

You can apply for your CCP on line in Alabama. I cannot recall the site, just google it.

You just fill out the form, wait a few days and then go to the sheriffs office, pay the fee corresponding to how long you want the permit good for, and away ya go.
    Short,Fat,and Slow,,,Yup I love the .45