MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FN designs for 357 mag

Boolit Bub

FN designs for 357 mag

Looking for feedback on accuracy and any other information you'd think valuable. I am thinking about which of the commonly available flat nose designs to use for medium range (30-50 yds), medium velocity (950-1000ft/sec) 357 loads out of my four inch 686+. Accuracy is the highest priority. I see Saeco, Lyman. and RCBS all have flat nose, tangent ogive designs. I guess I should also include LBT's version.

Boolit Master

I use the 180 grain WFN from NOE. 12 grains of 2400/1470fps out of a rifle, never chronograph out of a pistol but it's probably running close to 1000fps out of a four inch barrel. I never papered it at fifty yards with a revolver but it will keep a pop can moving at that range. it runs a reliable 1.5"-2.0" at 100 yards out of my Ruger 77, a bit bigger than 2.0" out of my Marlin lever. Very hard on deer.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Lee's 358-158-RF is a pretty good design and sounds like it may fit your description. I don't know what weight you are looking for however the mold I have drops at 164 grains with WW alloy.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...rain-flat-nose

Boolit Bub
    I looked at the NOE moulds. It is not sitting well with me that they would design their moulds such that you also have to buy their handles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Inthealders View Post
    I looked at the NOE moulds. It is not sitting well with me that they would design their moulds such that you also have to buy their handles.
    Gee, I have always used Lee handles with my Noe molds.

Boolit Master
    NOE molds work perfectly fine with the Lee 6 cavity commercial handles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Lee's 358-158-RF is a pretty good design and sounds like it may fit your description. I don't know what weight you are looking for however the mold I have drops at 164 grains with WW alloy.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...rain-flat-nose
    That is a great bullet

Boolit Master

Arsenal's 360-162RF here. Casts right at 160 gr. from 3 pt. range scrap/1 pt. COWW for me. I PC and size to .359 for use in (3) Rugers and a Rossi 92.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned

Thumbs up

This is my favorite
    Loads OAL at SAAMI spec
    Accurate, best mold you can buy in my opinion, with a great design I saw in the catalog

http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bul...36-170TG-D.png

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36-170TG-D.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	214483

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've used the LBT design for many years in many different guns and it has been well worth the money . It's very easy to find an accurate load with several different powders . The real plus is it feeds through lever guns like corn through a goose . I think this is the LN not the WFN .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master

All of my NOE and Lyman moulds have Lee 6 cavity handles....no modifications are required for either.
    The other brands of moulds I don't know....there is a Lee handle chart on this site (sticky) someplace that tell what moulds they fit and note any modifications required.
    Don't pass up trying a good mould because you think you have to buy their handles...for decades the mould makers handles only fit their moulds...you had to buy them....
    Thanks to Lee there is now a less costly option. The NOE's handles are better made but there is a cheaper option. I never did like Lyman's handles , ok quality ...they were just hard to hold , handles were too fat , not long enough and they didn't lie parallel . Less fit my hand better.
    Last edited by gwpercle; 02-18-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

From personal experience I would exclude the 357466 Lyman as they are often undersized. Other than that start with the Lee 125 gr rf and work up to the Lyman 358627 at 215 gr listed normally closer to 220 and you should be able to make any of them work. I find the most accurate load is with a 358477 at Lyman Manual #45 velocities for 38 Special.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Al just offers very nice handles because some folks are willing to pay for nice custom handles (not me). NOE is as good as it gets and their customer service is wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 02-21-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Boolit Master

I really like the Lee 158gr rnfp, I have the 125gr version but only use it for my brothers girlfriends S&W 642 and my 357 Sig. I use Lee 6 cavity type handles with NOE, Lee 6 cavity, MiHec and an old Ideal mold I have. I only had an issue with the Ideal, had to file down the arm on the handles as it was a little tight fit.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee's 358-158-RF is a pretty good design and sounds like it may fit your description.
    I'd buy this one in a heartbeat if it accepted gas checks. Any idea how fast it can be driven with some accuracy?

Boolit Master
    I have the LBT Flat nose in 38cal at 140gr, 166gr, 184ge, 200gr and 220gr. I'm a big fan. I do have the NOE 360-180-WFN as well, the LBT's shoot better for me, but I haven't spent much time developing an accurate load for the NOE WFN's though. They look very similar when loaded.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Steven66 View Post
    I'd buy this one in a heartbeat if it accepted gas checks. Any idea how fast it can be driven with some accuracy?
    Put a Plain Base gas check on it
    Problem solved

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Steven66 View Post
    Why would it need a gas check, sure if you were shooting it in a 357 Max but you don't need it for the 357 Mag.

Boolit Buddy
    It's for my Ruger 77/357 and I want to get around 1700 - 1800 fps with it. From what I read, 1400 - 1600 fps is about the limit for plain base bullets.

NOE molds work perfectly fine with the Lee 6 cavity commercial handles.
    That is what I use and also there is a post of all the molds that the Lee 6 cavity commercial handles works on and what one you need to grind some of it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast