RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FN designs for 357 mag

Boolit Bub
    I use the Lee 125gr and the 158 gr flat nose in 4 different revolvers and while the 125gr is fine for practice and plinkin', I would give the nod to the 158 gr for accuracy in front of a near max charge of win 296. But that is in "MY" guns.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    That is a great bullet
    I just got that Lee 358-158-rf and I think its more accurate then my Lyman 358446 plus 6 cavities vs 2 on my Lyman so no brainer there. I just have to find a good load but looks very promising so far.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by marek313 View Post
    I just got that Lee 358-158-rf and I think its more accurate then my Lyman 358446 plus 6 cavities vs 2 on my Lyman so no brainer there. I just have to find a good load but looks very promising so far.
    This is what I plan to try in my 357 as well. Only did some casting so far as I’m waiting for Midway to get Hornady dies in stock next week. Will powder coat and hope for the best! Will be first reloads for a revolver. Giddy up. -Brad

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Lee's 358-158-RF is a pretty good design and sounds like it may fit your description. I don't know what weight you are looking for however the mold I have drops at 164 grains with WW alloy.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...rain-flat-nose
    I don't cast any more, but the Lee design looks like it is what I can use. Does anyone offer this bullet for sale?Thanx!

Boolit Master

With accuracy in the 900-1000fps range you will be hard pressed to beat the Lee 125RF with Bullseye or 231 in the 4-5 gr range.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master

The Noe 358-124 gr.-TC , GC , has shown itself to be very accurate in my 357 magnum Ruger Blackhawk.
    This bullet sized .358 with a gas check and a load with AA#5 put 15 shots into one ragged hole that spanned 1 3/8 " with no pesky flyers. Even when cast 50/50 WW and lead the gas check allows it to be driven at magnum velocities with no leading . Also had good accuracy with 38 special +P loads.
    This bullet is showing a lot of promise in the 38 spcl , 357 mag. and 9 mm.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    From personal experience I would exclude the 357466 Lyman as they are often undersized. Other than that start with the Lee 125 gr rf and work up to the Lyman 358627 at 215 gr listed normally closer to 220 and you should be able to make any of them work. I find the most accurate load is with a 358477 at Lyman Manual #45 velocities for 38 Special.
    I was using Lyman 357466 2 cavity until recently when I picked up Lee 357-158-RF. I really like that Lee 357-158-RF and even though I have some more accuracy testing to so far i think its going to be a winner. Lyman 358466 is dropping small but after PC i got it sized to .3575 which is what i use for my GP100 and my 9mm p320. There are many posts about Lyman dropping small and people dropping Lyman in response i guess. I only have 2 lyman 2 cavity molds but I think I'm going to sell those since I'm not planning on using those much now.

Boolit Master
    The MP 359640 (150 gr HP) is a wonderful design. I shoot that one as my practice round in Rossi 92 an 686.

Boolit Master
    I shot 10 mouse fart rds. today out of my new Henry. These were sized to .359 and just barely fit in my SW 27. Well, I got leading just ahead of the rifle's chamber. Makes me wonder if the throat is over size? You think a gas check type mold might be the way to go? It was a Lee TL type swc 158 gr. over 4.8 of tight group.

I can surmise that the Henry won't be able to share cast loads with my 27 since it won't chamber a .360 boolit.
    Could be the Henry will have to be a jacketed boolit gun.

Update - I guess the Henry prefers boolits sized to .358. Shot a bunch recently of that size without appreciable leading. Also shot some 165 gr. pc over 14 gr. of 2400 and they worked great.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 03-12-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12