RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Auto decap machine

Auto decap machine

I didn’t get to do anything neat this winter and another thread on another forum had me thinking about an auto decap machine that could cull SPP 45 ACP from LPP 45.

I have the decap and feed part working. Maybe next week I’ll have some time to add the cull part right before the exit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzPBLrtajCc

*like*

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    *like*
    +1 Cracking job JM.

Boolit Master
    Looks good Morris. Is your culling setup going to be similar to the one you did on the 1050?
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Yes, the probe will come up from the bottom of the last case on the right. If it goes all the way in, it will just fallout into a Bucket of LPP brass. If it cannot enter because of a “ringer” or SPP a solenoid will trigger diverting it into another bucket.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Yes, the probe will come up from the bottom of the last case on the right. If it goes all the way in, it will just fallout into a Bucket of LPP brass. If it cannot enter because of a “ringer” or SPP a solenoid will trigger diverting it into another bucket.
    Sounds awesome, would love to see that in action when you complete it.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

thanks for taking the time to film that and post it. I subscribed to your chanel so i dont miss the sorter !

That is a great idea! I'm wondering how you make certain that the de-capping pin always finds the flash hole? I assume that there is tension on the cases as they move down the line to keep them from vibrating away from each other?
    Last edited by LaPoint; 02-18-2018 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Spelling

Banned

next work on a an auto gas check installer. Ill buy the first one you make!

I'm wondering how you make certain that the de-capping pin always finds the flash hole?
    All of the cases have tolerances close enough they don’t stack to make an error large enough to miss.

Like my brass sorter, that sorts cases by diameter. They are different enough 380 falls into a different bin than 9mm but all 9mm fall into one bin and 380 into another.

So we have cases that all have the same OD, how the pin is in the right place isn’t luck but not very easy to see in that video either. The “L” bracket that operates the case feed at the top of the stroke is actually more important than it might appear. There is a 10-32 screw in the top of the decapping head that can be adjusted up or down, at the point the horizontal end of the “L” contacts the header the screw. Raise the screw more than ideal and the case will be shoved past the spent primer hole and the flash hole won’t be lined up with the decapping pin. Lower it past ideal and the case won’t be pushed in far enough. Also there is and oil-lite bushing and shoulder bolt at the pivot so there is no “slop”. In short everything moves the same amount and had The same OD, so they can’t help but be in the same spot.

Mr. Morris, Once again I'm very impressed with your design and build of your decapping machine. I think I will attempt to make one later this summer, It's 14F with 20+ mph winds and snowing today. I would like to see a higher definition video but this is great! Thanks for posting the video and the explanation.