MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: 44 Magnum bullet weights, I'm stumped

Boolit Buddy

44 Magnum bullet weights, I'm stumped

I cast some Lee TL430-240-SWC bullets and some Lee 429-240-2R bullets recently. The bullets were cast from the same pot of alloy on the same day. I powder coated and sized them tonight, and decided to weigh a few of them. Both bullets should weigh near 240 grains. The TL430-240 SWC's came in at 239 grains. The 429-240-2R's came in at 259 grains. Could Lee have marked the mold wrong? Or perhaps cut the mold too deep? I'm stumped, any thoughts?

Boolit Grand Master

Might weigh some before powder coating. Also the alloy used can give a marked difference in bullet weight. Moulds are cut for a certain ally for a specific weight +/-. If you use an alloy with a higher % of lead the bullets will be heavier. If your alloy has a lower % of lead then your bullets will be lighter.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

Lee molds can vary, especially the pre-2013 two cavity molds. Lee changed how they cut their 2 cav molds in 2013 and I haven't seen or heard of much "out of spec" since then. But even so, that is quite a bit "out of spec". I did this comparison with some 30 cal molds I bought in 2010 and '11.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...sed&highlight=

Is your mold, that is dropping a 259gr boolit over 5 years old?
    If so, it's probably what Lee cut it to.
    BUT, if it's a new mold, I suspect there is something that is keeping you from fully closing the mold. Like a tight fitting alignment pin or some metal Burr or a bit of alloy on the mold face.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Almost every mold from every maker I have cast heavier than specified. The manufacturers always use a special blend alloy that nobody else uses. I seem to gain about 4 actual grains for every 100 grains of advertised bullet weight. Dont matter if its lee, lyman ,rcbs and I use straight COWW

My NOE and ACCURATE molds are spot on but you punch in what alloy your using when you order

Ditto what Larry said, also you might want to measure the diameter as cast.

Boolit Grand Master
    don't worry to much about weight see how they shoot for ya
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Lyman molds get their weight number using Lyman #2 alloy. I would just be guessing but RCBS probably uses #2 also. Like said above, custom mold makers will cut their molds to drop to weight using what ever alloy you specify. I have no idea what specs Lee uses for their molds, but wouldn't surprise me if they use the same as Lyman.

Boolit Grand Master

Besides alloy, some other things can affect bullet weight; mold temp., melt temp., and pour method. I've experienced weight variations, while slight, by varying these factors...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I try to get my alloy as close to #2 as possible with lead + lino + tin. I noticed that my boolits tend to cast slightly lighter than the mold weight. So a 405 grn turns out to be around 402 or so and my .430 (44 mag) 240s tend to weigh in around 238-239. But sometimes when the mold is (not sure warm/cold?) I get a few outliers that are 5 or so grains +/- and I notice when resizing, some are a little fatter (and heavier). All the ones that don't size get culled, so I only end up with the heavier / normal ones...

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to y'all sooner, been busy. I use a hot plate to heat my molds. I normally get good bullets from the first cast. I don't start casting till the alloy in the pot hits 700 degrees. I maintain the heat between 700 and 720 degrees (digital thermometer). When one mold got hot I pulled the other mold off the hot plate and used it. I kept alternating between molds using the same alloy and technique. Both molds are sold as 240 grains, but I don't understand the 20 grain difference. I'll cast the same two molds again and weigh the bullets before PC. I will shoot both of the bullets. I haven't found a bullet yet that my 6" Model 29 doesn't like.

Boolit Master

If all the bullets from one mold weigh about the same and same with the other mold don't worry

if you're getting a great spread from the same mold with same alloy then something isn't correct
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place