RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Accurate Molds: 35-140S and 35-145B

Boolit Bub

Accurate Molds: 35-140S and 35-145B

I am considering two Accurate Molds for use in a 38 Super. One is the 35-140S and the other is the 35-145B. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two molds they could share?

Thanks,
    TB

Boolit Master
    I have been loading for 38 Super with boolits that are parallel with your choices, but of different manufacturers. Your pick of the 35-140S is practically identical to the Lyman 358480, claimed to weigh 133 by Lyman but my COWW gives me a 138 grain weight. This boolit IS my one and only choice for the Super. It gives me the speed and group size I want and feeds up without a hitch. I have this pattern in a 2-cavity mold for conventional use, but also have a single cavity mold and plans to hollow-point the mold (like a lot of other projects, when ever I can get around to it!). As with most autos, juggle your COL for feed-up and plunk testing. The down side of this selection is that this mold is now discontinued and only available from auction sites or, as you have found, Accurate.

I also have a Saeco 296383 mold (145 grain) which appears very similar to your Accurate 35-145B. I bought this mold specifically for the Super but am disappointed in it. The length of the nose is too long to feed up in my pre-70 Colt Commander, in spite of Saeco claiming this mold is designed for the Super. I seat these with the top edge of the forward driving band flush with the end of the brass but they are loo stinkin' long to cycle up. Do I need to find an early release magazine for my pistol? Perhaps. Maybe your pistol can handle them, but mine won't. Finding that they would not cycle I have put this mold on temporary vacation. Future uses for it would include revolver loads or even a lever action, for grins and goggles, just to see how they group. Good luck with your selection.

Boolit Master
    You can't go wrong with any mold from Tom at Accurate Molds. The quality is unparalleled.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Banned

^^^ what he said