Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I paper patched .22 pellet gun pellet for 25ACP

Boolit Buddy

I paper patched .22 pellet gun pellet for 25ACP

I paper patched .22 pellet gun pellets with file folder paper using the "x" style patch for shooting in my .25 ACP. I wanted a primer only round for backyard noise free shooting, but couldn't find any .25 pellets or number 3 buckshot locally. It works!

Boolit Master
    Ha, that's awesome, did you hit what you were aiming for? Have any pictures?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCorkle View Post
    Ha, that's awesome, did you hit what you were aiming for? Have any pictures?

Yes they shot pretty well and didn't keyhole. In the picture you can see one pellet that isn't seated all the way down. I shoot them in my tipup Berreta .25. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-02-17 09.01.31.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	214380

That's a great idea. I use that method for seating bullets in unsized hornet cases. I should try it with pellets.

Last edited by 303Guy; 02-17-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ichthyo View Post
    Yes they shot pretty well and didn't keyhole. In the picture you can see one pellet that isn't seated all the way down. I shoot them in my tipup Berreta .25. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-02-17 09.01.31.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	214380
    That's dandy! Used to have one of those Beretta 920s...it was fun. Back before I reloaded and got rid of it in lieu of more available 9mm ammo

What is the report like with just primer? May not be carrying tons of for of energy on target but I wouldn't want anyone to shoot me with it....and I bet rats, racoons, and possums wouldn't either

Boolit Buddy
    It's not loud enough for neighbors to worry. I shot them through a single layer of cardboard target and into a .22 bullet trap. The bullets/pellets are flattened and not recognizable as air gun pellets. It would be deadly on rats for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    I made me a little jig like yours to hold paper cross in place. Thanks for sharing that picture.

Boolit Buddy
    One other thing. The patches were hitting the target too. They must travel completely through barrel with bullet as one would want.

Love the looks of that X patch system.

I have been shooting some #1 buckshot in my Rem Rolling Block chambered in .32sw long no powder just primer. That x patch would give me better results I'm thinking.

Been shooting them at a cardboard box in front of my 20 foot air rifle range catch box.

In one side, not out the other.

Boolit Master

Great idea.
    Can you chrono them?

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have a chrono, but they seem to hit about as hard as the colibri primer only .22s I've been paying $0.10/round to shoot out an old Galesi .22 pistol. They are 590 fps.This is much cheaper for home plinking fun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ichthyo View Post
    I don't have a chrono, but they seem to hit about as hard as the colibri primer only .22s I've been paying $0.10/round to shoot out an old Galesi .22 pistol. They are 590 fps.This is much cheaper for home plinking fun.
    No you've got me thinking of 177 out of a 22...may be a bit too much of a reduction for paper to seal well but primed 22 hornet brass...or 223 single shot.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey, I made an improvement. I found out paper straws are .25 outside diameter and the inside diameter is .215. A 3/8" piece of straw can be folded on one end and a small razor slit at the other end allows the pellet to seat perfectly into the primed case. This is much quicker than the cross method.

I'm going to try the paper straws. My challenge will be to make this work in a 25/303. I know some powder will be required and I happen to have just the right powder for it - AS30N/Clays.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 02-20-2018 at 01:01 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Let me know how it works for you.

Will do.

Boolit Buddy
    given the diameter difference its more of a sabot than a paper patch but i like it

i have been meaning to build a plinker ever since i figured out #4 buck shot is a perfect fit in steel brake line and a 209 primer also fits perfectly just havent ever gotten around to it

Boolit Buddy
    That would be an interesting project.

I have a 22LR Cooey barrel that takes a 22 pellet. One day I'll do something with it, like powering a pellet with a primer. Long barrel too, maybe a small powder charge to make it impressive.

But first there's that 25/303 that is begging to shoot patched/saboted 22 pellets.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I have a 22LR Cooey barrel that takes a 22 pellet. One day I'll do something with it, like powering a pellet with a primer. Long barrel too, maybe a small powder charge to make it impressive.

But first there's that 25/303 that is begging to shoot patched/saboted 22 pellets.
    TAOFLEDERMAUS did some fairly indepth testing of 22 pelets fired from 22lr with nail gun blanks it works you just need to seat the pellet in the rifling im sure you could do similar with a cast 22 boolit with as good or better results

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcBFR3BDd0Q

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast