RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything

Thread: BLL or Alox as a Rust Preventative?

Boolit Master

BLL or Alox as a Rust Preventative?

As I don't have any more Cosmolene any more, would liquid Alox or something thinner like BLL be a good rust preventer in bores that might not be shot for a few years? I live in a relatively dry climate so rust isn't a real big concern, but I would like something a bit more longer lasting than an oil type product. I think I heard that it was originally developed as an undercoating for rustproofing cars, so it should work on the outside of a gun also.
    Any comments?

Boolit Master

The Alox component in both those lubes was originally a rust preventive. I don't remember where I saw it but someone posted several years ago that alox dissolved in mineral spirits to a brush able consistancy could protect against rust for a long time. The thin combination could get into tight places and, when the mineral spirits evaporated, a thin coating of alox was left to protect.

I'll try to find the original post(or article).
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

I have used paste waxes on guns for rust prevention in inclimate weather before. I also use SPG bullet lube as a protector on my BPCRs bores and outside ( a very thin coat. I save the patches used to wipe bullet bases.) The 50-50 beeswax alox lube should do well in the same use.
    Most bullet lubes use wax oil and or soap in the make up so they should do well as a long term protector.

On the bprc rifles I take one of the impregnated patches push it thru the bore 2 - 3 times then a clean dry patch This leaves a very fine thin even layer of lube coating the bore. I then use the same impregnated patch to wipe down the outside metal, this gives a thin layer and a nice shine to the metal. This coating shows when handles in the smudges left. Its a decent coating and seems to stay in place. Not run off.

I once bought an old muzzleloader at an estate auction that the bore showed no rifling, appeared dark and rough. I got it cheap due to this, everyone thought the bore was gone. A gunsmith friend and I started to clan this jewel up just to see. He looked at it and we pulled the barrel out clamped an end in a vise muzzle down and a butter tub under it. Started heating it with a heat gun. In a few minutes bullet lube started dripping out then running out as the barrel warmed more completely. The owner had completely coated the bore in bullet lube. Once finally cleaned the rifling was crisp and clean bore was nice and shiny. I figure that rifle had sat for 15-20 years with no attention.

If using alox wax as a protector be sure to push a patch thru the bore before shooting as a heavy coating may act as bore obstruction.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Brownell's sells Cosmolene.

Alox was originally used as a rust preventive for topside machinery such as winches and deck guns on WW2 submarines exposed to extended periods of complete saltwater immersion. WW2 use the common practice was to dilute it with diesel by equal parts of liquid volume and it was applied with a bulky wool swab or bristle brush. Compound was still being used in Vietnam era on Swift boats and riverine craft. Bores of 3-inch and 5-inch guns did not require swabbing prior to firing, but 20mm and cal. .50 or smaller guns were wiped.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-16-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    LPS-#3 is good product for spraying dies and any thing that you will be storing for any length of time. We would use it on our 106 Recoiless Rifles for months at a time. Looks brown after solvent evaporates, contains bees wax that protects for very harsh conditions, used on oil rigs in Gulf I’m told.

I have been using it in a thin layer on my sprue plates. Keeps the lead from sticking and no more rust.

Just warm it up good so it evaporates and bakes on.

BLL works best of course if applied to the boolits and shot down the bore.

Leaves them clean and shiny and they seem to stay that way.
    I do like to add 2% carnuba wax to my BLL which also helps with clean shiny no rust bores.

Shoot it, run a dry patch through it and put it away till next time. Keep on shooting it until accuracy goes south. Then clean, season and repeat.

Boolit Buddy
    Crown tool and die saver.

I put a thin coating of Alox on any metal under the wood of my deer hunting rifle. So I don't have to tear it all the way down to clean it, if it gets wet, until after the season. I'll use BLL next season because it's even thinner.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master

I am an aviation mechanic. Lee Alox has the same color, smell and consistency as CPC grade 4 (CPC stands for Corrosion Preventative Compound) we use at work. Its good for up 30 days outside and 90 days inside. The smell got me and the SDS at work list Lubrisol company so i am convinced its the same stuff.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    This is very interesting.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a quart of Xlox that I just smear on the metal parts and put my guns in storage.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

In the 1970's - '80's, alox based rust proofing compounds were touted by Ziebart and "Rusty Jones" as [aftermarket] solutions to automobile rusting. They worked after a fashion, but better production methods and the questionable claims of both firms pushed them out of business.

Boolit Master

In 1968, while living in Lansing, Michigan, I had a '68 Dodge Charger Ziebart treated. That stuff seeped from the holes drilled in door panels and other places for weeks. I was transferred to Tennessee less than 6 months after that. I wouldn't be surprised if that old car is still around if it wasn't wrecked. It sure wouldn't rust away.

Maven is right. They promised a lot of good things for cars that were prone to rust in Northern climes. I bought into all of it back then.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Bub
    I'll second LPS-#3 you should be able to buy it in a spray can. I have used it to under coat my truck.

Boolit Man
    I been using that stuff from cosmolinedirect.com, in an aerosol can. Leaves a dry slick coating, like alox but not as sticky.

Boolit Master

I still have a gallon of Rusfre left over from over 20 years ago. Am wondering if it's an allox formula. Called the company, but can't get through. Must be out of business. Can anybody give me a clue?
    Incidentally, my truck rusted out underneath the Rusfre coating.

Boolit Grand Master
    Fluid film, Eezox, -- best around.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    I still have a gallon of Rusfre left over from over 20 years ago. Am wondering if it's an allox formula. Called the company, but can't get through. Must be out of business. Can anybody give me a clue?
    Incidentally, my truck rusted out underneath the Rusfre coating.
    YEAH!!! Up here in the Peepels Reepublik of Nu Jork they put down enough salt on the roads to insure that you spend money to repair and/or replace your car often! Cash flow means sales tax, don'cha' kmow?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If you do a search on Eezox, you will find that it out preformed all other chemicals when it came to rust prevention. I've been using it for about 7 years now and I shoot nothing but Black Powder.
    John Boy did a long test on it several years back, I think the test is in the sticky section. I'll never find a need to use another, that is for sure. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet