Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Crimping on the driving band

Boolit Buddy

Crimping on the driving band

I am trying to find the magic bullet that does not lead my 1873 32-20 rifle. It seems like the Lyman 311008 or clones like the NOE 314008 have 2 lube grooves, no crimp groove, but does have the driving band, it is a 115gr bullet. Does anyone shoot this bullet or it's clone and crimp on the driving band? The guy at NOE says that he lubes the 2 grooves, but crimps in the top lube groove. I would like to keep all the lube in the grooves and seat on the driving band if that is ok to do. I shoot long distance with all my rifles, use Soule type tang sights and globe front sights with apertures, and mostly load 1 shell at a time. I typically do not load the magazine tube, although I may sometimes put 4 or 5 in the tube. I would really like to find a 120-125gr mold or bullet with 2 lube grooves and a crimp groove, but I have not found one yet.

Boolit Grand Master

I seat an Accurate 31-120K deep, and crimp on the front driving band because the nose is too long to cycle in my lever action. I have had no problems with it, in either the rifle or handgun. It is a very good handgun bullet, with a big lube groove, but is not spectacular in my rifle. I suspect it is due to an oversized throat, not the bullet. This is for 327 federal by the way. Due to good experiences in the past with SSK bullets in 44 mag, I had Tom draw one up to my specs, and it is the 31-140C. The mold is currently on its way, although I'm having second thoughts. Looking now, I think the 31-140V would be a better bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks megasupermagnum. Yeah, I want 2 lube grooves, and if I can find someone that makes that bullet, I will buy some first before getting a mold. I cannot find any commercial places that make that bullet with a plain base.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't load the bullet that you are talking about but a few of my revolvers require me to seat the bullets deep and crimp over the front band. They shoot fine that way. These are mostly Keith type swc's.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks lightman.

Boolit Master

I don't shoot those bullets, but my for 30-30 and .270 are seated far out. For the 30-30 i crimp inside the first lube groove and for the .270 i crimp on the second driving band. It has no adverse effect.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

-- delete --