RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: 38-55 mold

Boolit Mold

38-55 mold

I am thinking about buying a new mold for my 1907 94 38-55 . I have been using an old Ideal single cavity mold that cast a 250 grain flatnose boolit. I get excellent accuracy with it , around two to two and a half inches at 100 yards , but it takes forever to cast a good supply of rounds. I had my rifle relined by a man named Taylor up in I believe Washington state. He did a beautiful job. My mold has a wider flat nose than the Lyman 380681 style , other than that they appear similar. Has anyone here used this mold and if so how did it do accuracy wise ? Any other suggestions ?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I get excellent accuracy with it , around two to two and a half inches at 100 yards
    You might want to use the Acurrate Mold Clone of the Ideal 275166 ...
    I get consistent MOA groups at 100 - 200 and 300 yds. Also, the bullet shoots out to 500m and back down to 200m with good patterns on the silhouettes using 42gr of BP
    Regards
    John

Vendor Sponsor

Did the Taylor reline use a 38 cal liner or a modern 375 cal liner? Knowing this would help you make an accurate choice of mold.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    I requested that he use the original bore diameter of .38 . I size my bullets to .380 and it seems to be a good fit. I believe the bore worked out to be .379 when it was all said and done. He did a remarkable job. Unless you are looking hard for it , it is unnoticeable . The rifle has it's original set triggers, and it works like a champ.
    John, what rifle are you using ? that is remarkable shooting. I will look at the Accurate molds. I don't have my old Ideal mold at the house , and I don't remember the no. on it.

Vendor Sponsor

Hmmm - wow, a set trigger 1894 38-55. There are only a few of those. Now that is one I would enjoy having!
    I assume it is a rifle.? Not carbine...
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    Yes. It's a 26 inch octagon bbl. Found it in a pawn shop a couple of years ago. It was in a pile of guns that were not working and had been pulled. They sold it to me for $150 . I took it home and took it apart , found it was assembled wrong. I put it back together right and it worked like a champ. The bore was gone , and after six months of trying everything I could , cleaning, different sized bullets , and loads I gave up. Off it went to Taylors. The outside is mostly patina , with no pitting , and the wood is worn but no chips or cracks. I put a Lyman tang sight on it and a globe front. It's as fun to shoot as anything else I own.

Vendor Sponsor

Good for you! Good find and I am glad you are enjoying it! You saved a great old rifle too!
    Chill Wills