Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Gas check expander, gas check seating die or both?

Boolit Buddy

Gas check expander, gas check seating die or both?

Having some issues getting GCs on my Lee 312-155s. I had been using the 2 cavity version and the GC shank was narrow enough that they just slipped on. I've switched over to the 6 cavity version and all the shanks come out a bit oversized. GCs want to go halfway on or tilt and I'm getting tired of hammering them on.

So what would be the easiest solution? Using the NOE gas check expander, or the GC seating die? Or would I be better off using a combination of both?

Boolit Master
    I'm assuming they are pretty close to fitting, and you are using a Lyman or RCBS lubesizer? See if just putting a flat piece of metal across the top of your lube die doesn't then give you a platform for pressing on the check fully using the lube sizer. Another thing I have done is warm the checks on a hotplate -- warm checks will often fit on cool boolit. Yeah, you gotta' be careful with the fingers when turning over the upside down checks...

I am willing to do whatever it takes to avoid having to treat all my checks with an expander.

Boolit Buddy
    No lubesizer, as I mostly Hi-Tek coat my boolits. I'm putting the checks on after the first coat of Hi-Tek and then sizing/seating with a Lee push thru sizer.

asmith80; I st6arted out buying the NOE expanders and they are a step up from my homemade ones. One thing I find is that it is easy to over expand the check unless you are careful in setting up to just kiss the check (technical measurement) Next, I purchased the NOE gas check seating die and have found that I rarely need the expanders now. If the checks start on as you describe, the seating die is all you need. If the base of your bullets are flat and square, the checks seat perfectly 99% of the time. Buy the seating die first and give it a try, it's most likely all you will need. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks gp, that's exactly what I needed to know

You're welcome. I've bought so much gear without asking first. Great thing about these forums is to ask friends about their experiences. gp

Boolit Master

I use the expanders to put gas checks on Powder Coated bullets. NOE gas check seater is handy, but i find it a bit of challenge to get a gas check square with it. Takes a bit of attention and rotating the bullet. The die the bullet slides into allows the bullet to tilt or get a bit cocked. I still use it though, but i find the Lyman gas check seater die for the Lyman lubersizers works great. It uses the sizer die to seat the gas check and works a lot faster than the NOE tool.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I have not tried this but some have used mould release (paint) to reduce mould dia. in spots, like the shank. I tried the NOE thing, just reverted to taps with a hammer.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I literally started using gas checks last week. First gas check mold and couldn't get them on square if at all. Pretty frustrating. Anyway, I read on here about annealing the gas checks. It really worked. World of difference