Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swiss or Olde Eynsford users?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Surculus View Post
    That's a 5% difference [45fps delta, ~900fps avg V: I love it when the math can be done in your head! ]; quite a far cry from the "30-35% faster" quoted at the start of this thread!
    Indeed it is but every other chronographed result is more like that. This is the first time I’ve seen a result that high for standard Goex. Ever. In fact here’s a bit more results:

Lyman’s 2nd edition BP handbook shows a .375” ball with 20 grns traveling at 750 fps and 22.5 grns at 780 fps. Swiss wasn’t found here in the 70’s and Olde E was just recently produced.

Percussion Revolvers by Bates and Cumpston shows 22 grns produced 849 fps vs 1048 fps with Swiss. 23% increase.

There’s not nearly as much data for the .36 as there is for the .44 but what’s there typically shows a much wider velocity difference. This result is far from the norm. In fact this is the only case I’ve ever seen where standard Goex performed close. Search yourself and you will see.

http://poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html

Boolit Master
    Mike Belliveau is a well respected enthusiast as knows his BP stuff better than most. Here’s 18 grns of 3F Goex with a ball from a .36 cal Spiller & Burr. You’ll note it produced 738 fps.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zVyPTdHcCDI

Despite his many videos of .36 cal pistols I cannot seem to find any more that have chronographed results. He does have one where he compares standard Goex to T7, which gives similar results as Swiss and Olde, through a pair of ROAs, as well as another video shooting various projectiles with standard Goex through an 1860 Army. All results are similar to every other one posted or in a book/manual I’ve seen.

So by the sheer number of results that show standard Goex, as well as the other powders, producing much reduced velocities I’d have to say that that is what you can expect. But maybe your experience will differ from all of theirs, and maybe some more testing showing the comparison on a video would be nice so as it can be out there for personal viewing and comparison.

Banned

i load with black powder in both muzzleloaders and cartridge guns to be as consistently accurate as possible. the powder used is just one part of a gun's charge, but an important one. if i was just a plinker, and not a competitive shooter, i'd be less concerned about the powder choice. well, maybe.

for my money i'll take swiss for both my trad ml's and rollers/sharps because of my personal observations of its consistency and less fouling issues. the added speed is of a far lesser concern for me. i know with swiss that i'm getting the best production bp offered anywhere on planet earth, and one thing less to dicker with in building a consistent muzzleloader or cartridge load. all my guns like eating it, too, as my personal best scores reveal. i think that OE is also a fine powder, and that'd be my choice if i absolutely could not get swiss, but make no mistake that swiss is still the world wide numero uno of black powders. i always mail order and always buy in 25lb lots, using whatever online vendor gives me the best shipped price. there is a winning reason why the vast majority of bpcr gunners use swiss.

Boolit Master
    Totally forgot that Goex has velocity listings too. From their site:

http://www.goexpowder.com/load-chart.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Fedex is delivering tuesday a case of OE 1 1/2 F /2F for the total sum of 497.50 from Powder inc /Nice folks ! Think that"s about $17.00 or so ,that"s pretty current pricing /Ed
    Ed - I didnt check the date on the posting that came up on Google - figured if the info came from the same place on the same day it made for a useful comparison BETWEEN POWDER BRANDS - was not my intention to put the powder inc people in a bad light and I apologise to them if that has happened - you got a good price on good powder !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Fedex is delivering tuesday a case of OE 1 1/2 F /2F for the total sum of 497.50 from Powder inc /Nice folks ! Think that"s about $17.00 or so ,that"s pretty current pricing /Ed
    Ed - I didnt check the date on the posting that came up on Google - figured if the info came from the same place on the same day it made for a useful comparison BETWEEN POWDER BRANDS - was not my intention to put the powder inc people in a bad light and I apologise to them if that has happened - you got a good price on good powder !
    Gotta take note those numbers I quoted were for five pounds delivered and hazmat - small orders always cost more per unit .

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe more shooters who own chronographs can be persuaded to test for their results too. More data would have to be more helpful than the values in various books and articles, as the conditions of shooting are often not specified in these. Also, I note a big difference in results listed even in different editions of such a reliable source as Lyman's Black Powder manual. Chronographs aren't all that expensive, so I hope that others may contribute their research.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfswithwolves View Post
    Maybe more shooters who own chronographs can be persuaded to test for their results too. More data would have to be more helpful than the values in various books and articles, as the conditions of shooting are often not specified in these. Also, I note a big difference in results listed even in different editions of such a reliable source as Lyman's Black Powder manual. Chronographs aren't all that expensive, so I hope that others may contribute their research.
    Will do shortly , but 22" snow and no power is stoping my shooting ! I have gen/power but no internet device (wires down all over) even Qubec power is down helping ! Will post results next week,keeping powder dry and (warm) ☃Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Golfswithwolves View Post
    There seems to be some confusion about GOEX performance - but it might be explained by the fact that the GOEX produced in the old PA plant (which blew up in 1997) was more energetic than the GOEX produced in later years..... and some guys are still using up their stocks of the pre-1997 powder.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ofitg View Post
    There seems to be some confusion about GOEX performance - but it might be explained by the fact that the GOEX produced in the old PA plant (which blew up in 1997) was more energetic than the GOEX produced in later years..... and some guys are still using up their stocks of the pre-1997 powder.
    That sadly is the situation downunder - makes the comparisons irrelevant I guess - that old GOEX was streets ahead of Wano at the time (my opinion) and chrono testing now tells the same story - OLD GOEX better than modern WANO - it makes no difference - we cant get it anymore. The story of the Moosic blowup(s) makes an interesting read - classic tale of a company in decline and how cutting corners (penny pinching) does not pay - the plant blew up because of saving a few bucks on a light switch repair .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123