RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leading at the end of the barrel

powder coat?, that seems like a bit too much work for me, not that I don't admire them, especially being able to choose any color you want
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    so I was reading a thread about moly lube, and it mentions that it leaves a grey residue in the barrel.... that got me thinking, I hadn't cleaned my gun yet, and since I had no patches left, I ended up using tight wads of paper towel with hopes no.9, in about 5 passes, just in, not in and out, wasn't using a jag, just the tip of the rod, 90-95% of the "leading" or "residue" was gone... so, would you expect leading to clean up that easily, or do you guys think it is more likely that I was seeing this grey wash from the moly in my lube?
    Look at your patch, silver looking sparkles are a dead give away if it was lead?
    Charter Member #148

not that I saw, just looked black... so is this residue a problem? or just something I need to clean when it gets built up, if it does build up, if it IS lube,it may smear like what I saw, but not build up more because succeeding shots would keep it down. still need to find out if lee's alox will help with this, by that I mean applying it on top of the regular lube
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    not that I saw, just looked black... so is this residue a problem? or just something I need to clean when it gets built up, if it does build up, if it IS lube,it may smear like what I saw, but not build up more because succeeding shots would keep it down. still need to find out if lee's alox will help with this, by that I mean applying it on top of the regular lube
    It's a problem if it becomes a problem... light fouling can become heavy fouling if long strings are fired without cleaning, especially adding a very hot barrel into the equation. For that, you'll have to try it and see (or just avoid the problem).
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12