Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt action 30/30

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    Just finished loading some Lee 160-2R
    to try in my 788 30/30.

This rifle is next
    on the list for serious boolit testing.
    I use the Lee 160gr 2R TL in several 30 and 30+ caliber rifles including 30-30. I even made a trim die that I use to flat point it for tube magazines. I've always got good accuracy both sub sonic and super and both lubed or as I now use them, powder coated.

Motor
    Last edited by Motor; 02-17-2018 at 11:58 AM.

I never load the 30-30 hot and brass lasts forever. If you want more speed look farther up the .30 chain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have enough 30-30 bolt guns for me I think, but a win 54 in 30-30 could make me stir a little bit!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I have two friends and a Son that have Savage 340 rifles. I can't beg, borrow, buy or steal one ..... and they all are tack drivers.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Shhhh I picked up a Savage 325 C with Lyman peep sights for $50 but lately there's been a real interest in these rifles and the prices been jacked up lately .I also picked up a almost new 340 C Stevens at a pawn shop for $200. didn't blink and eye before I pulled the credit card out. I keep playing with other cases, right now i am working on a 3006 mauser, and i keep asking my self why am i using 40+ grains of powder in this large case when 28.5 g of r15 will do the same job in 30-30.

Deputy Dog, repeat after me; " I will not sell nor trade my 788 30/30 no matter the temptation to fund another project, so help me, Galena" I sold mine (44 mag) for a profit to fund the same thing and regret it to this day. Every time I look at my old records of how well that little gun would shoot, it makes me sick. Congratulations to you. BTW, there is a really clean used 788 in 44mag on Gunbroker and the bid is up to $1000. Sick!
    Last edited by murf205; 02-18-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Deputy Dog, I'm certain there's a warrant out for you because you STOLE that 788!
    The 123 yr old 30-30 cartridge continues to fascinate me but even more so out of an accurate bolt action. I love my Winchester 94 for short range hunting but precision isn't it's long suit.

Boolit Bub
    well I let alot of 788 slide through my fingers but the two 44 and this nice nice 30/30 will never go any where until I am called home now if I can find won to convert to 38/55 that would be sweet oh Ive got three but not in a bolt action

Boolit Grand Master
    Years ago I was in Duncan, OK at a gun shop, Murfs guns IIRC, over on the East side of town. They had a new 788 44mag for sale for $99. My hand was on my wallet, but talked myself out of it. Shouldn't have listened to myself that day (other days too, but thats another story!!).

Boolit Master

My 340 prefers bullets at .311 vs. .309. They shoot a lot better sized to .311.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Bub
    I size mine .310 for best acuricey

Mine likes .309".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have a 788 in 30-30, and a Winchester 54 in 30WCF. I'm just starting loading for them. The 54's throat is a lot longer, so can shoot a heavier bullet. I have some 314299s loaded up to launch. For the 788, I have some NOE 311150gc bullets to try.
    NO APPLAUSE......JUST THROW MONEY!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Years ago I was in Duncan, OK at a gun shop, Murfs guns IIRC, over on the East side of town. They had a new 788 44mag for sale for $99. My hand was on my wallet, but talked myself out of it. Shouldn't have listened to myself that day (other days too, but thats another story!!).
    In the Winter of 1988, when I brand new to the Army, fresh out of college and in OBC at Fort Sill, the wife and I decided to drive over to Duncan from Lawton, saw Murf's and dropped in. Left with a plain jane Savage 110 in .223 with a cheap scop on it and three boxes of ammo. I was 22 at the time but really away from home and on my own for the first time and that was the first gun I ever bought, at least that I had to fill out papers on. The rifle was and is a shooter and I still have itI still look at that purchase as being kind of a benchmark in my formative years, I'd grown up around all kinds of guns, but Dad had always handled acquisitions.

Back to the topic, the rifle that I got started in "small bore" cast hunting is a Savage 340. Killed a good doe with it in Early October of 2010 and haven't shot a deer with a jacketed bullet since. I like the 340s despite their shortcomings. Much better rifles than they were given credit for when they were being produced.

Banned
    the rifle that would decimate the current gun industry hands down. the good old bolt action 30-30.

ITs nice to see that target of the 30-30 out performing the 22-250. so much for fancy varmint loads being better for deer.

I will tell you a secret about the 788 they all had Douglas premium barrels, that is why they shot so good,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter View Post
    I will tell you a secret about the 788 they all had Douglas premium barrels, that is why they shot so good,,,,,,,
    And how do you know this to be true? Please show your proof. I doubt Remington even knew that secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Radialshave View Post
    the rifle that would decimate the current gun industry hands down. the good old bolt action 30-30.

ITs nice to see that target of the 30-30 out performing the 22-250. so much for fancy varmint loads being better for deer.
    It did that day for that group at least! While I agree the 30-30 is a better deer cartridge; I have killed numerous deer with the 22-250 with no problems whatsoever.

Boolit Master
    I got a phone call a few years ago for the wife. She said I got you something. Ok. When she got home she asked me to go out to the car and get it. She had no clue what it was but knows I say all the time you can not buy any gun for under 100 dollars anymore. Not in my area anyway. I walked in with 16 boxes of 30-30 ammo and an old Savage 340A with a lyman peep. I later found out she paid 60 bucks.

A few here will remember two years ago I make a thread working out the bugs and doing a walk though of the Lee Load Master. Well while I was picking up the press I saw a mag sitting on the bench. The young men had no clue what it was. I offered 5 dollars. The mag came home with the press.

I have not shot it much. Funny I post in this thread as I had it in the case headed to the range with me today and did not make it. The fuel tank fell out on my truck. Spent all morning looking like a fool strapping it back in so I could limp home. The good lord has blessed me with life but not so much when it comes to my wallet.

So far the only load I have worked up is a mouse fart that is just blast to shoot. Young fellers stop over and you should see them look at that lyman peep with wonder.

Boolit Master

Next test is back to the .309 sized bullets. Something is off a bit and it may be that. One thing at a time.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12