Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: No.1 Barrel Band Constriction

No.1 Barrel Band Constriction

Hey fellas,
    On Ruger No.1's with the barrel band, how much constriction have you encountered?
    Was it enough that it needed to be remedied?
    What did you use?

Would you please clarify your question ?

I'm a little confused, since AFAIK the only barrel band on a Ruger #1 is the forward sling swivel support - and IDK what "constriction" you're referring to.

Last edited by pietro; 03-13-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Would you please clarify your question ?

I'm a little confused, since AFAIK the only barrel band are the forward sling swivel supports - and IDK what "constriction" you're referring to.

Possibly a # 3 Ruger? What is constriction are you referring to pressure on barrel from band ? If
    so it would be on a individual gun bases. I don't know how you would measure it unless at group
    on target.

Boolit Master
    My rifle had .001 internal bore constriction at the barrel band and .0015 internal constriction at the muzzle due to the front sight band.
    This was tested with soft bullets driven in from the breech and then driven back out the breech. The muzzle was tested by driving bullets in the breech and out the muzzle.

My rifle grouped only 3 shots out of 5 on a 24"X 24" target. Two shots missed entirely. The 3 that hit made an 18" group at 100 yards.

I bought the rifle used...imagine that. The dealer said it had been a safe queen because it looked unfired. I guess the first owner could not hit anything either.

I got a styrofoam Remington box and sent it to Ruger with some .457 muzzle loader balls jammed into the styrofoam so they could check the barrel.
    Three weeks later I got a the rifle back and it had a new barrel and a test target. The test target was about 1" for 5 shots at 50 yards.
    EDG

I'd be more concerned about the mainspring/forearm hanger creating issues. That's always been the weak point in #1 accuracy.

I'm still confused on barrel band on#1. Ruger front sights on 77s use to be put on after barrel was
    blued, cold barrel hot sight method. Maybe this could affect bore dia in small amount. I have taken
    Front sights of 77s buy cutting 1/2 way through the ring and putting screw driver tip in cut and
    Twisting, Ring will snap like glass. They probably dip barrel in liquid nitrogen.

Boolit Master
    There is not much to be confused about. The bands produce a constriction in the bore and the rifles don't shoot very well when it happens.
    I suspect you are wrong about the sight installation process. The band and the barrel are not large enough to cause much of a diameter change due to temperature. I suspect they drive them on with a press. In the case of 45-70s the barrel wall is not very heavy and it yields when the band is forced on.

Even a simple dovetail cut in a barrel produces a constriction under the bottom of the dovetail.

[QUOTE=Drm50;4291727]I'm still confused on barrel band on#1. Ruger front sights on 77s use to be put on after barrel was
    blued, cold barrel hot sight method. Maybe this could affect bore dia in small amount. I have taken
    Front sights of 77s buy cutting 1/2 way through the ring and putting screw driver tip in cut and
    Twisting, Ring will snap like glass. They probably dip barrel in liquid nitrogen.[/QUOTE
    Last edited by EDG; 02-16-2018 at 12:18 AM.
    EDG

I hand lapped 2 Ruger no.1's in 45-70 and found both to have a tight spot at the barrel band for the sling.
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Master
    Maybe 30 or 35 years ago I read multiple comments in gun rags that the Ruger #3 rifles in 45-70 seemed to be more accurate than the #1s in 45-70.
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    I can't tell you how much constriction mine has but I can tell you that when I am cleaning it that it is extremely tight at the barrelband.ripshod

Got around to measuring the sling swivel band and the front sight areas.
    It's about a half to one thou.
    This is on a No.1 9.3x74R that I am working on paper patched for. And mostly intend to shoot for fun rather than bambis not that it matters. But I do have visions of a miniature buffalo rifle, golly if only I could find a population of miniature buffalo.

So first it's establish the best base line groupings. Then lap, shoot, lap, shoot, lap....
    So I reckon those buffets can live in peace and security for a while.

Boolit Master
    If the rifle shoots I wouldn't worry about it. I have a 1S in 7mmRM, that shoots 1/2moa. The constriction at the band and front sight is quite noticable with a patched jag and the copper build up in those 2 areas is significant. The rifle shoots well enough it don't bother me a bit.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    I also have a Ruger #1S in 7mm Rem Mag. I cannot feel any constriction and it does not foul but it has to work hard to shoot a 1.5" group. It has maybe 100 rounds through it. I hope another 100 rounds might improve the bore finish a little and improve the accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    If the rifle shoots I wouldn't worry about it. I have a 1S in 7mmRM, that shoots 1/2moa. The constriction at the band and front sight is quite noticable with a patched jag and the copper build up in those 2 areas is significant. The rifle shoots well enough it don't bother me a bit.
    EDG