Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: Review: Custom boolit mold from Arsenal Molds

Moderator Emeritus

Review: Custom boolit mold from Arsenal Molds

About a month ago, I started seeking a Lightweight SWC for 41 cal in a 4 or 5 or 6 cavity mold.
    I couldn't find anything I wanted in a current design, maybe there isn't much of call for a lightweight SWC?

I learned that Arsenal Molds will consider some custom work. I've never owned a Arsenal Mold and thought I'd like to give one a try. I sent them a request for a Lightweight SWC in 41 mold via their "Contact us" section of their website, and Jared promptly sent me a response.
    I guess others have made contact with him via a more direct route.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Arsenal-Molds
    He and I exchanged several emails including him sending me a drawing of what he thought I wanted from my description, after a couple changes, and another drawing, it was exactly what I wanted (41-205-SWC version 2).

Attachment 214286

I told him on 1/25 to "go ahead" on a 5 cav alum mold. I received a paypal payment invoice on 1/26 and promptly paid it ($95 plus shipping). I thought the price would have been higher, due to added time for the two drawings. The invoice also said to allow approximately 2 weeks for delivery.

about 2 weeks later, a shipping notification email arrived

The Mold arrived yesterday, Happy Valentines day to me

The mold looks beautiful ...the look, feel, and quality is as good as I've seen from the other popular mold makers. In a word, "Excellent".

I proceeded to fire up the Lead furnace with 15lb of 50-50 (COWW-soft scrap lead). I cleaned the mold with hot water, dish soap, and a toothbrush as I usually do with a new mold. I preheated the mold and started casting. I started with the alloy hotter that I usually would (710ºF). I had some wrinkling and fillout issues with the first several pours. I adjusted the temp up and down...tried a few different things until I found the sweet spot which was after a 100+ boolits (about 20 pours), then they were dropping in a excellent fashion. 201gr and .413 on both sides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mold boolits and dummy rounds Arsenal 41 205 SWC 1k picsal.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	214277

Attachment 214279

Right after the successful casting session, I assembled 3 dummy rounds (seated to Crimp groove, COAL 1.642) and cycled "the set of three dummy rds" a few times each through both my Marlin 1894s and my Henry Big Boy steel. I was extremely happy how they cycled in both guns. Of course, actual live fire at the range will tell the real story.

Great custom mold at a great price. Great conversation with Jared. Great boolits.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Yes, Arsenal gives us another great mould option. I have a very nice 70 grain 25/20 boolit in the 5-cavity from him.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is unfortunate the .41 Mag never really took off. I suppose being nestled between the .357 and .44 Mag did not make it appealing enough to those who already had those calibers.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It is unfortunate the .41 Mag never really took off. I suppose being nestled between the .357 and .44 Mag did not make it appealing enough to those who already had those calibers.
    You are probably correct.

My thoughts on this...
    44 Mag "was" my favorite caliber for many years, it is why I started loading my own and why I started swaging my own. Swaging, that is about the time I learned that SAAMI specs for Rifle are different that Pistol, as well as the whole 1:38 twist that Levergun manufacturers like to use, that is as I understand it, a carry-over from the 44-40 days. These things frustrated me, until I stumbled onto a Marlin 1894s in 41 Mag. That changed everything for me, especially when I realized for my practical purposes, the 41 and 44 are essentially the same...except the SAAMI specs in 41 Mag are the same for both Rifle and Pistol. So, a few years ago, I made the choice to switch over from 44 mag to 41 mag, I sold all my 44 guns and most of everything used to make 44 ammo.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Don't know how you can say the .41 never took off. Those in the know are part of the .41 "cult".

Boolit Master

I use the SAECO 170gr SWC designer for the 41 Action Express for a light weight 41 boolit!

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I am in the 41 "cult" I have always shot the 41 mag, it was one of the first guns I bought. I have been casting for it from day one as well as it was the reason I started swaging bullets. I have always gone to 250gr + bullets in the 41, but started looking for a bullet in the 170gr range and found this GB;
    http://singleactions.proboards.com/t...cavity-caliber
    I can't wait to get it. I also have been looking @ Arsenal molds and plan to order an Arsenal mold and give them a shot. Their molds look great.

Boolit Mold
    Adding onto an old thread. Looking for anybody else who has had problems with Arsenal mold. Took my money back in early April and that has yet to send me anything. We exchanged a couple emails but even that has stopped. Sent one last email yesterday and got no response again.

Can you give a phone call ? I've bought several molds from Arsenal molds and never had any issues. Good quality molds and good service. There is a phone number on a webpage.
    https://arsenalmolds.com

Boolit Mold
    I sent a very short email asking for my refund or the mold and finally got an answer