RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Help with GSG....

Boolit Buddy

Help with GSG....

Gents - A few years back I bought my son a NIB GSG 522 from a FFL friend of mine. It's the style which has the large rubber? forearm and large barrel cover (fake suppressor). After seeing the pictures in owners manual and teaching him to clean it, he said he wished it had the smaller forearm and barrel cover. I've located multiple sources for a forearm, but no such luck on the smaller barrel cover (on the LW carbine style). I've checked HK parts, EBay, GPC, GB and a few other places and even called HK parts, no luck. If anyone is familiar with these models and knows of a source for parts fro these, I'd appreciate it. It seems that these are now discontinued, so I'm guessing it will be a secondary market find, if I'm lucky. Both him and I would be plenty happy with a nice used one as well. Greatly appreciate any help - Thanks Bill in MA

Boolit Master

Will one from a GSG 522P not work?
    Question will the shorter barrel cover render the gun Class 3?
    http://gsg522.net/gsg-522/
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 02-15-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    It has a 16" barrel, half of which is covered by the fake suppresor, just looking for the slimmer profile fake suppresor, not looking to swap barrels or shorten the current one, just looking to put everything in front of the receiver on a "diet" so to speak!

Boolit Buddy
    Well every now and then a blind squirrel finds a nut!!!! To put it more correctly, a very nice gentleman named Charles at ATI (American Tactical Imports) a customer service rep - who just handled my call and after a brief explanation on what I was doing, took my info and is sending me the exact part I've been seeking, for no cost, after taking the serial number of the rifle! After putting up the original post this morning, I dug the rifle out of the safe and found the original box in the closet. I took off the original barrel cover to take measurements and check the thread pitch (metric too, as it was made in Germany). I was looking at the box on the floor and saw the ATI logo on it. It never occurred to me that the importer of these may still have parts, especially since they're now discontinued, figured what the hell, doesn't hurt to check. Look them up on my phone, 10 minutes later and I struck gold. ATI is now in SC, no longer in the state of NY, which was on the box (from 5 yrs ago). I think I will now order the forearm and upon the arrival of the parts, update the rifle and surprise my son, when he gets home from school in the next week or so. Thanks to for the help here, but a very big Thanks to ATI for great customer service. Thanks Bill in MA

Boolit Master
    that's a great story.

i have 2 of the GSG-5 guns. one thing you want to look out for is the screw that retains the steel bolt orientation plate on the back of the babit casting the bolt rides in backing out, and the plate walking off. take the buttstock off and look in the rear of receiver and you will see a phillips screw. back it out without moving the plate, dope it up with red locktite and put it back in. reinstall stock, and it will not come apart one day when he is shooting it, and stop the gun.

Boolit Master

its nice to hear they went above and beyond what is really required.

Boolit Buddy
    Justashooter - Thank you for the heads up and I will look into that. I should probably do a complete cleaning and inspection when the parts arrive. He and I have probably only put 200 or so rounds thru it so far. Had a few FTFs with Rem Golden bullet stuff at the beginning, but nothing with anything CCI brand. We're limited to 10 rd mags here, so it has the factory blocked 22 rd mags. After nearly 2 yrs of looking I finally found the short 10 rd mags made for the pistol, so he can now shoot it off the bench without interference with the bottom of the long mag and the bench top, but of course, now that he's 12 and not 9 anymore, he's probably outgrown the problem anyway! If anyone has anything else to look for regards to maintenance, I'd love to here it - Thanks to all Bill in MA

Boolit Buddy
    Lefty O - When I called, I was hoping just to get a lead to a parts supplier, especially since they're an importer and not a manufacturer, I was never expecting them to have the parts, let alone ship them out for free. I even asked if the'd like the replaced part returned and he politely said no thanks, enjoy the rifle. I just finished sending their CS a long email, thanking them again. I couldn't be happier, once I get the parts swapped out, I'll tell my son, how it all played out and make it into a teaching moment, as to how to treat people. Thanks, Bill in MA

Boolit Master

A tad off subject but ATI used to be right around the corner from me. The reason the moved was because of the gun laws and taxes here in NY! Please keep that in mind when it's time to vote.
    Glad you got your parts, I was going to suggest ATI when I first saw your post. ATI has some great people working for them and I had hoped to be one of them before the move, but with kids grandkids and 4 decades of collecting stuff I'm staying put.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington