MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: What Size Mold do I Need?

Boolit Master

What Size Mold do I Need?

Am wanting to get a 330-350 grain grease grooves hollow points mold using pure lead for a couple of .45 Knight inlines with 1:28 twist. I slugged each yesterday and they mic'd @.460-.461, but I don't have the tools or the brains to measure the depth of the engraved grooves to determine the true bore size. Any help would be appreciated.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

In my opinion these should be used with a Sabot as designed. You can do a search for MMP Sabots, there they have most of the info needed for the sabot size and projectile. This includes the projectile diameter for use in the proper sabot. Cast and jacketed are interchangeable in the sabot.
    As far as projectile weight goes, that is very heavy for the .45 considering the max listed for a .50 in a sabot is 350 grains.

Jeff

Boolit Master
    Thanks for response but I really want something like Gould bullet. Lyman Gould weighs 330+. I shoot s 407gr now that is paperpatched. I prefer to shoot this with a sabot only in 50 Cal, not 45.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I guess I didn't do a very good job of framing my question. I would like to buy a mold like the Gould that would fit my rifles using pure lead. The Gould was designed for the 45-70 and drops around .460"
    Think that would be too big in my .45's. At the widest depth of the grooves they only run around .460; the actual bore would be tighter

Boolit Master
    Arsenal molds makes a copy of the Gould bullet but its not a hollow point. There mold # 460-330 is a .460 dia 330 grain solid point bullet and if need be Jared can cut it a little larger than .460". I used to use the Gould bullet in my Shiloh's for competition but casting one at a time was a pain in the neck that's when I found out about Arsenals 460-330 bullet and ordered a 4 cavity mold from them. If the outside diameter of your lead you slugged the bore with is .460 then you want at least a .461 dia bullet. With a muzzle loader it won't hurt if its .458 diameter being a couple of thousandth under sized will make loading easier when the barrel starts to fowl.