MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Got myself a nice old Winchester M67A

Super Moderator

Got myself a nice old Winchester M67A

..............When I was a pre-teen kid I remember shooting my Great Uncles Winchester SS that my grand father had (My G-Uncle had passed before I was born. In any event grandpa had orange groves. He wasn't much of a 'Gun Guy' and neither was my dad so I don't recall how I ever managed to be shooting the rifle. I actually think it was a Winchester model 68 target version, but the model 67A is close enough. We'd set up a couple wooden field boxes and place some oranges on top so I had something to shoot at

The bluing is at least VG-Exc, if not better, and has only a couple small spots of freckling. The wood is walnut and is also in great shape.

Yup, the cocking knob is missing as I had the bolt apart cleaning it up after I got it home. Then I suddenly decided to take some pics

The first thing 'Un-original' was that the action had been D&T'd with 4 holes for a side saddle scope mount. I filled them with slotted screws.

The 2nd, was the flat spot on the bolt handle to clear the scope. However it was done very nicely.

Buttplate is a original in exc condition. The bore is like a mirror and it is happily a VERY fine shooter. It has the standard 27" tapered barrel. I paid $225 for it, so now I have an almost exact copy of the very first gun I'd ever shot

Fooling around on the net I was surprised to see all the information that abounds for these rifles. They were made from IIRC 1934 ($5) to 1963. Since there is no serial number, according to production changes my rifle was made in early 1937.

.................Buckshot
    Last edited by Buckshot; 02-16-2018 at 04:01 AM.
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice old gun there! I do love the old classics!

Enjoy, enjoy enjoy!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

These are great rifles, especially for youngsters starting out. I had one as a pre-teen and got one for my son when he was about 10 years old, he’s 44 now and has purchased two more. The receiver and barrel are one piece and are very solid and accurate.

Good to see these again.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master
    Nice, wish someone still made something like them today.

Boolit Master
    A model 67a was the first cartridge gun I ever bought. I paid $40 at a flea market for it. It had a cracked stock and a ringed bore, but it would hit aspirin tablets at 20 yards every time! I've still got that one, and it's probably still as accurate. I wish I could say I was.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 67 and a 67A -- both fine rifles which are fun to shoot as well as pretty durn accurate for a rifle neither designed nor marketed for precision target work . Congratulations on your obtaining one of these -- on occasion, the small size and light weight makes them conducive for me to take in woods at camp. At the price you paid, that's almost larcenous in my ares -- here. they seem to hover about the three hundred dollar -- and much higher -- mark at shows I've attended.
    geo

Banned

Beautiful! It looks brand new.

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle, they truly dont make them like that anymore! I have a 67 and 67a myself, both get shot regularly. The 67a looks new, like yours, but has the early finger groove stock. I suspect it was a cleanup rifle from 63 timeframe. They shoot like a target rifle. I did one of the rimfire central games with the old one, made the cut on the first try! I can no longer see well enough to say what they will actually do, but I can keep 5 consecutive 5 shot groups under 1/2 at 25. Flirts with 1/4 but ill goof one group up every time! You have a winner!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Here is mine. Same flatspot and same holes. This is my go to gun when I catch critters in the havahart trap. 22 cb shorts are hand clap quiet.

My 1st. gun was a 67. It was my Christmas present when I was 13 in '52. It's still with me. That gun & my Remington 511...a pair of favorites.

Boolit Bub
    A 67A is what I first learned to shoot with too. It belonged to my father. Both of my children learned with that rifle as well. He still has it and he has my late grandfather’s as well.

They are great rimfire rifles. Glad you were able to pick one up! Go shoot some oranges and enjoy it.

Mine is a 67 with the real skinny stock, it came from my maternal Grand Dad to my Dad to me. Not sure how old it is but it has accounted for untold numbers of tree rats. We also used it for years to dispatch hogs before we butchered them. One day when I was about 12 years old I hit a Dove flying and spent the rest of the day and the rest of my shells trying to do it again with no luck. Lot of memories in this old gun.

Steve.......
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Master
    The Winchester 67s made a lot of memories for boys way back when. I was allowed to attend a summer camp for a 1-week stay when I was 8 or 9 years old. The camp had various activities the boys could ask to attend. I chose the rimfire rifle class (yes, they really did offer this back in the day). All firing was at the prone position. We were handed 3 pieces of .22 Short ammo to fire at our targets, can't recall the distance. One of my shots was a true pinwheel! The other two hit the target paper but were not impressive. The camp counselors were highly impressed with that one shot and wrote fine reports on the target paper. I still have that target in my workshop. Congratulations for finding a big time fun rifle, enjoy it.