WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a mold for 45 ACP?

Suggest a mold for 45 ACP?

I shoot a lot of 38 special and like tried and true designs, so I am thinking about adding a 1911 to the stable. If so, I need one or more molds for the caliber. Can anyone suggest a mold for the cartridge? Are any of the Lee mold designs good general purpose designs? I was thinking about something in the 200 to 230 grain range. Are RNFP designs good choices in this caliber?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve enjoyed shooting Lee TL452-230-2R boolits from a 6 cavity mold, first lubed with 45/45/10 and now HiTek coated.

ADMIN

230 RN is a good solid profile.
    runs in every 1911 that I have come accross
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master

The Lee 200 swc (traditional lube design) is a solid version of the classic h&g 68. Hard to beat for general purpose 1911 use.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Hard to beat a round nose for a classic and the lee 2R 230 grain (not the 1R 228grain mold) is close to a round ball nose profile. The Lee 200 grain SWC (not the TL version) is also another good design which as been already stated similar to the classic #68 design

Boolit Master
    The Lee 230 gr TC works well.i have an aversion to the tl design..
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    160 gr rnfp lee 200fps faster with less recoil than the 230 gr and uses less lead

I'm really partial to my H&G 34 230 grain 6 cavity. It has the same shape of a military 230 FMJ design bullet.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Buddy

What was said above is all good recommendations. I am a little partial to Lee molds they have a 6 cavity 200 gr SWC in the H&G design as well a 6 cavity 230 gr RN and I love the fact that they are aluminum. These are the 2 main ones that I use for my 1911's.

Boolit Master
    Accurate has a 200 gr rn didn't notice a flat point though. I would go with a mold from NOE or Accurate more money than Lee but the mold will be right the first time.If you get a mold from Tom at accurate he will cut the block to your need not a generic diameter. I've molds from both vendors and they are the best looking and machined blocks I have ever seen.

Boolit Master
    For about thirty years, I've used a SAECO #069, a copy of the H&G #68 SWC, 200 gr. I also had a #68; the SAECO bullet shoots at least as well.
    Another that was quite accurate that I used some time ago was the Lee 190 gr. SWC. I don't know the model number, but it had two thin lube grooves (not the tumble lube design).

Boolit Master
    No one seems to mention the Saeco 058. While it may not give NRA Bullseye accuracy and may be more difficult to get to run as well as others with that large diameter meplat it could be doubled as a self defense bullet. Weighs 210 to 215 grains as cast.
    Since most are not NRA Bullseye quality shooter I feel most would not notice the slight lack of accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

If you don't require nice clean sharp holes in paper targets then the original 225-230 grain round nose is reliable in almost all handguns. If you want more of a target bullet the SWC's in the 185-200 grain range will function in most handguns. The brand of mold is like asking about die brands or what truck to buy. Lee has their loyal followers and are very affordable. RCBS makes a great mold, although only 2 cavity. Lyman and Saeco both make molds in either of these bullet types. And there are several custom mold makers that make really nice and affordable molds.

Personally, I used a RCBS 45-201 for years. It shot well and functioned in several different handguns. My current favorite is an original G&G 68 with 4 cavities. I also have a H&G 130 with 4 cavities. Both of these are a joy to cast with and well worth the cost and effort to obtain them.

Theres really not a wrong answer here but Good Luck in your choice.

The Lee 200 grain semi wadcutter and the Lee 230 grain truncated cone are my favorite two bullets for the 45 automatic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Notice a pattern?
    definitely a good 230 RN and a good HG-68 or clone are tops for my .45 ACP casting. I own a NOE 4-cav for the HG-68, and the Lee 6-cav for the 230 (TL version). Both are extremely accurate.

Boolit Master

I have had some fun with the Lee 452- 230 tumble lube design and also the Lee 452 - 228 design. The 230 gr bullet has a reduced diameter in the nose and I have never had one not feed. The 228 gr design had to be experimented with the get it seated deep enough to feed properly. But once that was resolved it has worked fine. The 230 gr truncated cone flat nose bullet was unreliable in my gun as in It would not feed very well, and it always cast very heavy, up to about 250 gr . The 200 gr Copy of the #68 works well in my RIA 1911 but not in My Glock 21. I need to do a lot more testing/ shooting but this is my experience so far.

I almost forgot but I started powdercoating a Lyman round nose 230 gr bullet. It is the old old bullet that Is the first bullet I ever saw that guys were casting at the pistol club when I was a kid hanging around. It raised my awareness that you could make your own bullets and they all called it the Chinese Hardball bullet. Never a hiccup so far. It is relatively pointed for a round nose bullet and feeds really well. Not a 6 cavity mold though.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 02-15-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Mid Way often has the RCBS 230gr. RN .452 on sale for $60.00. You will not do better on a quality iron mould for less.I could not get any cast bullet to shoot in my CZ CCO until I sent the barrel to our forum resident DougGuy to have a proper leade cut to accept cast boolits.Accuracy was never an issue but feeding and chambering were not good until DougGuy's work.

I am using the Lyman 452374 and the Lee H&G 68 clone for most of my 1911 45ACP usage. Both feed well and are accurate in all my 1911 45ACP pistols.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are new to the 45 ACP I'd recommend starting with a few 230 gr FMJ to get the hang of reloading the cartridge. Then I'd move to a 230 gr LRN regular lube groove design. Then when you get the hang of casting 45 caliber boolits, a 200 gr LSWC is a great 1911 bullet. Perhaps some will say just go straight to a SWC, but I believe in a logical step by step approach, get the basics down with an easier to use item then go to the other more challenging items.

At this time I have two molds for my 45 ACPs, a Lyman 225 gr round nose and a 200 gr Lee SWC standard lube groove (both with "soft alloy", about 12 BHN lubed with a home made version of Carnauba Red). Both have been very accurate in my guns and when sized to fit the gun can be almost leading free...
    Last edited by mdi; 02-15-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Hivelocity has a good deal on an RCBS mold on swapin & sellin

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...d-with-handles

Have the same mold myself, can't go wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast