Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a mold for 45 ACP?

Boolit Grand Master

200 grain 45 boolits are a good choice for general use. My first 45 mould was the old
    Lee 452-228-1R... it was a poor choice...
    Go with the 452-200-SWC ...it will do fine and cut clean holes. If you feel the need for a 230 grain boolit get the 452-230-TC , truncated cone beats the round nose design seven ways to Sunday.
    Avoid the tumble lube design....they can be problematic in some guns. My theory is some 45's have shallow rifling and the TL design may not get enough bearing which can lead to inaccuracy.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    The Lee 230 gr TC works well.i have an aversion to the tl design..
    I too have the Lee 230 TC in their TL design. I PC, them and have used just BLL on these. They never failed to feed and shoot extremely well out of my Ruger SR1911. This boolit mold is my answer to your question. - CASTER
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

I've been using a Lyman #452460 4 gang (my only .45 mold) since 1962. Half a dozen .45's, and more than half a century later, that mold still puts out match quality boolets, that feed very well. My series 70 Gold Cup with that boolet and 4.5-4.8 grains of Bullseye, shoot better then I can hold.

Boolit Buddy
    The round nose has the best chance of functioning across many gun designs but much depends on what course the bullet rides into the barrel - the individual gun.

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    I shoot a lot of 38 special and like tried and true designs, so I am thinking about adding a 1911 to the stable. If so, I need one or more molds for the caliber. Can anyone suggest a mold for the cartridge? Are any of the Lee mold designs good general purpose designs? I was thinking about something in the 200 to 230 grain range. Are RNFP designs good choices in this caliber?
    I have played around a lot of boolit shapes and sizes. and settled on two, Lee 452-200 SWC, because of the beautiful round holes it cuts in the target paper, and then I also have a Hollow point mold which casts 3 types of boolits from Mihec. Hex hollow point, round hollow point, and solid nose. This mold is a piece of artwork. I powder coat them all with Eastwood Ford light blue and send them downrange 1000's upon 1000's with joy, much joy. Try it, you will like it

Most 1911 will feed a RNFP or SWC just fine. If you want one bullet for a myriad of guns then go pure RN or the TC should also work.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned

I have not met a Ranch Dog design I do not like
    You can get it as a HP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_TL452-236-RF_(BB)_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	214371

This is the .45 Colt I use
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N.O.E._Bullet_Moulds_SC454-290-RF_286_gr_Sketch.Jpg  
    Last edited by jmort; 02-16-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Sounds like to 200 grain swc is the ticket. Thanks!
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

The 3 boolits I would reccommend and the ones I use in 45acp are a 200 SWC of the 68 or clone persuasion. The 230 TC from Lee and the 200gr HP Mihec, 452640 I think it is. I hoot mostly the 200gr swc, I have the lee 6 banger version of the 68 (close approximation anyway).

Boolit Master
    There’s also NOE’s 213 RF. I have the RG2, quite the devastator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Lee 452-230TC looks decent, I've had great luck with the J-Word version of this in the past so I want to try that one out.

In the past I've had some failures to feed with SWC j-word bullets, which convinced me to stay with LRN cast boolits. But I haven't tried them, admittedly. Maybe see if your gun likes a few before committing to them? (For a defense gun, FTFs are BAD - You don't want ANY. And I'm picky LOL)

Boolit Grand Master

I plan to cast with a new to me H&G 68 4 cavity mold for the first time this afternoon. Really looking forward to it!

Boolit Grand Master
    The LEE version of the H&G #68 is my choice. My piece shoots several different boolits very well.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    Hard to beat a round nose for a classic and the lee 2R 230 grain (not the 1R 228grain mold) is close to a round ball nose profile. The Lee 200 grain SWC (not the TL version) is also another good design which as been already stated similar to the classic #68 design

Why not the 1R 228gn???

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I have had some fun with the Lee 452- 230 tumble lube design and also the Lee 452 - 228 design. The 230 gr bullet has a reduced diameter in the nose and I have never had one not feed. The 228 gr design had to be experimented with the get it seated deep enough to feed properly. But once that was resolved it has worked fine. The 230 gr truncated cone flat nose bullet was unreliable in my gun as in It would not feed very well, and it always cast very heavy, up to about 250 gr . The 200 gr Copy of the #68 works well in my RIA 1911 but not in My Glock 21. I need to do a lot more testing/ shooting but this is my experience so far.

I almost forgot but I started powdercoating a Lyman round nose 230 gr bullet. It is the old old bullet that Is the first bullet I ever saw that guys were casting at the pistol club when I was a kid hanging around. It raised my awareness that you could make your own bullets and they all called it the Chinese Hardball bullet. Never a hiccup so far. It is relatively pointed for a round nose bullet and feeds really well. Not a 6 cavity mold though.

How deep did you have to seat the 1R 228???

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    200 grain 45 boolits are a good choice for general use. My first 45 mould was the old
    Lee 452-228-1R... it was a poor choice...
    Go with the 452-200-SWC ...it will do fine and cut clean holes. If you feel the need for a 230 grain boolit get the 452-230-TC , truncated cone beats the round nose design seven ways to Sunday.
    Avoid the tumble lube design....they can be problematic in some guns. My theory is some 45's have shallow rifling and the TL design may not get enough bearing which can lead to inaccuracy.
    Gary

Why was it a poor choice???

I recently purchased the Lee 1R 228 mould and will be casting with it here in just a little bit. I purchased this mould because I could not find the 2R that was not TL. I am sure that as I progress in the hobby I will by purchasing more moulds,,,hey, its only $$$,,,
    Short,Fat,and Slow,,,Yup I love the .45

Boolit Master
    The ogive on the 228 -1R Lee design is fat and with today's pistols the barrel throats are virtually non-existent. Having this issue means one needs to seat really deep say at a 1.18" COAL if your barrel is like most manufactured barrels. I purposely design bullet molds to have the nose length necessary to feed and function while keeping any full diameter or ogive interference out of the equation etc.

Boolit Master
    As an example this is what I asked Tom at accurate molds to draw up for me:
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-230V-D.png

With this design I can seat to a more traditional COAL without having to throat my barrel. This also allows me to shoot this design in numerous 45 ACP's.

Banned

I will take this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-230H-D.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	215727

Banned
    I also found that the Lee TL452-230-2R worked best in the most guns. The smaller nose is the key plus it's a 6 cavity.

Boolit Master
    What I have heard over the years is that Lee's 230 gr. RN is pretty close to the original ball ammo in terms of shape, and thus is a very reliable feeder. It's also a good accurate boolit. I gave some to some fellow Bullseye shooters and they were both very impressed with the way they flew.

Boolit Bub
    I use the Lee 230 TC and the 230 RN TL both shoot good, also have had good luck with either of the two 200gr SWC designs from Lee. Ive even used the 200gr RNFP meant for the 45colt it worked good too but I have to seat it deeper than the crimp groove to get it to chamber in my SR1911.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast