MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 45-70 with IMR-4831

Vendor Sponsor

45-70 with IMR-4831

I have a new to me Lyman 457193 4 cavity mold. It makes a lot of big bullets fast. Empties a 20 pound pot fast too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resizedDSCN0912.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	215962

Every few months I shoot the NRA 200 meter lever silhouette match, and this has been going on 15 years. I like shooting a different rifle for a few years and then move on to something else. Mostly I like the smaller bore rifles but I am going to use my 1886 Winchester this year.

I have 8 pounds of IMR-4831 that is old and I want to shoot it up. And, I have this new, four cavity Lyman mold. Seems like a way to use up a lot of powder and lead.
    Who has experience with this bullet and slow powder in the 45-70. I am going to work up Black Powder velocity loads with that plain base Lyman bullet.
    Yes, I will say it ahead of time; I will be getting some un-burned powder in the barrel. And I'm good with that.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Wow, that is a sweet mould. I wish Lyman would . . . well, do lots of things but offering their rifle boolits in the four cavity? I mean how hard is that?

I've used 4831 in the 45-70. Very accurate in my H&R. I changed powders quickly but it did look to me like it wanted more and better ignition.

Good luck.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    I have a new to me Lyman 457193 4 cavity mold. It makes a lot of big bullets fast. Empties a 20 pound pot fast too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resizedDSCN0912.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	215962

Every few months I shoot the NRA 200 meter lever silhouette match, and this has been going on 15 years. I like shooting a different rifle for a few years and then move on to something else. Mostly I like the smaller bore rifles but I am going to use my 1886 Winchester this year.

I have 8 pounds of IMR-4831 that is old and I want to shoot it up. And, I have this new, four cavity Lyman mold. Seems like a way to use up a lot of powder and lead.
    Who has experience with this bullet and slow powder in the 45-70. I am going to work up Black Powder velocity loads with that plain base Lyman bullet.
    Yes, I will say it ahead of time; I will be getting some un-burned powder in the barrel. And I'm good with that.
    That mold looks like it makes 400 grn-ers... Nice! 4831 is a slow one - get the load data, but I would assume you would need a full case to compressed load to get pressure with it... And to get velocity, a long barrel...

Banned

it will burn dirty.
    I would be concerned if it cleaned up because your starting to push 45+K at that point.
    if you can get the powder up near the base of the bullet I think you might end up with a decent BP type load.
    I know 4831 will shoot pretty well in the 30-30

Vendor Sponsor

50 grains of IMR-4831 filled the case 95% to the bottom of the bullet base.
    The load made a pleasing group at 100ys. The hard winds blew the group left and right but the vertical was under two inches.
    1-1223 fps
    2-1173
    3-1156
    4-1174
    5-1173
    6-1157
    7-1214

AV - 1181fps

I might try adding a grain at a time and see how the groups work.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    I've never tried it. I've stayed with RX7, 4759 and holy black but I know a guy who shoots it a lot in his 45/70. He likes it and says there is no way to overload it. Good score on that mold!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it will burn dirty.
    I would be concerned if it cleaned up because your starting to push 45+K at that point.
    Huh! Now there's an understatement fiver! Forty five thousand with a 400 grain boolit would certainly cause my shoulder to be some concerned!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy
    I not tried 4831 yet but rl 7 and 4198 work great. I just tried 13 gr unique under that bullet and it is now my go to load. VERY mild recoil and low muzzle blast. 100 yd groups 3 in with crappy sights that came on rifle. Got to get vernier rear and glbe front sights. Unique load is around 1k to 1100 fps. Havent chronoed it yet.