Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing some sights for long range shooting with my ruger number one

Boolit Master

Needing some sights for long range shooting with my ruger number one

Got to feeling bad seeing that 45/70 (Ruger #1 lyman centennial edition) sitting in the back of the safe and not getting shot.
    Anyone know of any type of long range sights might work on this rifle? Wanting to informally bang some steel at long range with it. It currently has a pair of sight bases from a 1V on it. Had a 3-9x scope on it , but I am sure it wouldn't have nearly enough elevation adjustment for ranges past 200 yards.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Grand Master

How involved do you want to get with sights. LRBPCR in Canada allows the number 1 to be used and they fit them with a special mount and safety knob with a tang mounted vernieer and globe front sight. This requires the mount / base to be fabricated the safety knob modified to side use beside the base, tang drilled and tapped for the base and a long range soule type sight. Front will need a dovetail cut or a clamp on style base made.

Another route to go would be to buy the MVA malcomb Scope at 6X and drill and tap for bases. Get the long range creedmore rear and you'll have elevation for 1000yds. A good unertal can be used also but you may have to play with bases heights to get to 1000yds and the rifle may not zero at 100 or 200 then. This is due to the limited elevation adjustments in the unertal mounts.

Look at MVA (montanna vintage arms), DZ arms, Leather wood also makes some scopes in the traditional style but a lot replace their rear mount with MVAs.

I use the MVA scopes in BPCR shilouette and am pleased with them. They work well for me out to 500 yds with plenty of elevation left. view is clear and 6x isn't a problem either.

Boolit Master

Or - don't scope it at all and put an MVA midrange Soule sight on it....

Boolit Master

Just can't see spending that kind of coin on something I am just going to haul out infrequently and bust rocks and shoot steel plates with. Thanks for the input guys.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    Or - don't scope it at all and put an MVA midrange Soule sight on it....
    What would you screw the MVA tang sight into? ....the wood in the wrist? I think that is why he is asking in the OP.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

I believe some of the early creedmore guns had the rear sight mounted on a block inlet into the comb just infront of the buttplate for the position where they laid on back and rifle ran down the leg. This was to get the sight closer to the eye when in position.

I've seen a couple Ruger #1's fitted with tang sights, and each done differently. Both were mounted over the safety on the guns. One had the safety deleted and the metal drilled and tapped for mounting the tang sight. The other had an ingenious base made that straddled the safety and that base was D&T to mount a sight on. A new safety was fabricated that extended to the right side so it could still be used. I asked the owner who did the work and he indicated he'd made it up himself.
    A midrange vernier will give you quite a bit of distance on a Ruger #1 because of the high position if mounted over the safety area. A low globe front will also help to shoot even farther.

Vendor Sponsor

Yes, one of my shooting partners used to shoot the Ruger #1 in NRA longrange creedmoor (there is no 'more' in creedmoor) matches in the early 2000's. He still has that rifle. He had a crazy adapter plate made up to support the tang sight. One off, not inexpensive.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    A tang sight can certainly be adapted to the #1, it's not an inexpensive proposition tho.
    Another option would be to go with an MVA b5 scope in the #2 mounts, either mounted on the Ruger factory rib, or remove the rib and install directly on the barrel.
    There isn't any good option to install sights competent to shoot long range on those rifles that isn't going to cost a fairly hefty sum of money.
    Didn't those rifles come with a malcolm style scope?
    Once you did get it figured out tho, the rifle is legal to compete in the Black Powder Target rifle matches. Heck who knows you might find a whole new world of fun once the project is done.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    What would you screw the MVA tang sight into? ....the wood in the wrist? I think that is why he is asking in the OP.
    Exactly - I have a Browning Highwall with just such an arrangement - Just put in two brass E-Z Lok adapters and you are good to go...

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    Exactly - I have a Browning Highwall with just such an arrangement - Just put in two brass E-Z Lok adapters and you are good to go...
    Okay. I think if I somehow found myself in that position, and nothing else to shoot, I would certainly try it. For hunting accuracy and busting rocks like was asked about, that could be just the ticket. I have seen a few match shooters that have attached the rear sight to various rifles wood; I would just would wonder, is it the wind, is it the load, is it me or is it the wood that is killing my score?

One rifleman that shot with us 15 or so years ago paid to have a local SS gunsmith, Richard McKenny-Schuetzen Gun Co., weld on a top tang to his Browning B-78, and he shot silhouette with it. I think when all was said and done it worked fine, but he might have spent as much as the price of a regular Browning BPCR or more.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    if you use burris weaver adapter https://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...-redhawk-gloss you can then use the burris signature zee rings ad 2 20moa inserts to get 40 moa of extra elevation between that and the internal elevation on the scope you should be able to get to 600+ depending on the load not sure how far you are wanting to stretch it out

Boolit Master
    I had a #3 that I put a midrange sight on by removing the safety and D&T the tang. I only loaded when I was ready to shoot so the safety didn't matter. I could remove the sight and replace the safety if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Okay. I think if I somehow found myself in that position, and nothing else to shoot, I would certainly try it. For hunting accuracy and busting rocks like was asked about, that could be just the ticket. I have seen a few match shooters that have attached the rear sight to various rifles wood; I would just would wonder, is it the wind, is it the load, is it me or is it the wood that is killing my score?
    As mentioned in a previous reply, the Creedmoor rifles used a steel plate mounted in the heel position for shooting in a reclined position at 800-1000 yds., and they shot extremely accurate. Even in the 1870's those guys could make 13-15 consecutive bullseyes with iron sights at 1,000 yds.! I might wonder if the base wasn't securely mounted, or if a person just used two inserts for the two screws. But if done properly it shouldn't be an issue.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    As mentioned in a previous reply, the Creedmoor rifles used a steel plate mounted in the heel position for shooting in a reclined position at 800-1000 yds., and they shot extremely accurate. Even in the 1870's those guys could make 13-15 consecutive bullseyes with iron sights at 1,000 yds.! I might wonder if the base wasn't securely mounted, or if a person just used two inserts for the two screws. But if done properly it shouldn't be an issue.
    Yes, A few years a go, at the Colorado Collectors Show, I got a chance to handle an 1877 Sharps Creedmoor with base plate in the back. No sight staff installed. Clearly I did nor get a look at the inletting past the exterior. It was a plate anchored with two large-ish slotted screws. Obviously, someone made that setup work fine.

Anytime, in any century, someone makes 13-15 centers at the long line, it is remarkable. Also, very steady conditions.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Didn't those rifles come with a malcolm style scope?
    Yes sir. The complete sets did. My rifle is not one of them though. It is one of the overruns. No box. No scope. No accessories. Just a 30" heavy barrel and no sights. I had it D&T for Ruger 1V bases and ran a scope on it for a while. May just see about picking up a decent scope with a ton of elevation adjustment built in to it. Anyone got suggestions for that? I'm not going to spend $500 on sights or scopes for a gun I will probably only shoot a handful of times a year. I have no way of competing in long range shooting. I spend most of my time living and working on oil drilling rigs. Thanks again guys.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You're not likely to find a scope that will have the internal adjustment to get a 45-70 out past 300 yards or so with out spending 500$ or more. Even a decent tang sight is going to run you 400 and that doesn't include the messing around it'll take to mount it.
    As you have the gun drilled and tapped already, I'ld take a serious look at the MVA B5 scope in the #2 mount, that'll set you back 650, but you'll have the elevation to make 600 yards easy enough, and they can probably set you up with the blocks to reach a 1000.
    You the same Dan Walker that I sent those bullets cast from the Lee 255 swc mould many years ago?
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    You're not likely to find a scope that will have the internal adjustment to get a 45-70 out past 300 yards or so with out spending 500$ or more. Even a decent tang sight is going to run you 400 and that doesn't include the messing around it'll take to mount it.
    As you have the gun drilled and tapped already, I'ld take a serious look at the MVA B5 scope in the #2 mount, that'll set you back 650, but you'll have the elevation to make 600 yards easy enough, and they can probably set you up with the blocks to reach a 1000.
    You the same Dan Walker that I sent those bullets cast from the Lee 255 swc mould many years ago?
    I may be. Dunno if you did or not. I don't remember it, but that doesn't mean much. Do I owe you some money or something? If I do, please let me know so I can square things up.

Here's how one came out, with a long-range Creedmoor tang sight & a Lyman globe front.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Add a couple riser blocks soldered to base and a side pin on the safety knob the safety would be useable also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast