Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: 6mm Flobert, 22 bb caps, 22 CB caps, 22 Shorts...case sizes?

Banned

6mm Flobert, 22 bb caps, 22 CB caps, 22 Shorts...case sizes?

Hi folks,
    I have been enlisted to make up some 6mm Flobert ammo. I have been making 22 LR for a few years now and the 6mm Flobert should be a piece of cake for me. I do not have the gun that I am going to be making this ammo for so I was wondering if anyone out there who has any of these various rounds could measure the cases for me. I am pretty sure that the 6mm, CB, and BB caps are all the same sized case. I don't know if that is the same as a 22 short. Could anyone help me out with this? Thanks

Boolit Master
    Well the 22 BB cap was basically a no propellant primer only thing, with a .22 round ball (the .22 caliber buckshot would work for this). Sometimes they used a short conical bullet too. The 22 CB cap round was essentially the same thing but it had a little bit of black powder added to it. The .22 short of course had a little bit of propellant inside. Since these rounds came out way back in the 1840's etc, they would have filled up the 22 short case with black powder. The American brands of the 22 BB and CB cartridges tended to dribble in a little black powder in their cartridges. Not enough to fill up the case though. I would expect that one could likely just put in 1/2 to 1 grain of smokeless powder like Red Dot or something in the 22 BB or CB rounds. Of course Pyrodex might be a good option too. For the 22 Short round, you would need to work up a load for it.

22 BB case length is .284" and COL is .343"
    22 CB case length is .420" and COL is .520"
    22 short case length is .423" and COL is .686"

I thought it was pretty neat of you to make 22 LR rim fire cartridges. That is pretty cool.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 02-18-2018 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo correction

Boolit Master

If your trying to make ball ammo get some Fiochi [spelling?] pull the shot and use a ball of the proper size may be the easiest option.

Banned
    Fiocchi cost $70 per 100 caps. That is why i have been enlisted to make them.