Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What uses a single stack 303 Brit or 30-40 Krag magazine?

Banned

Here's the Mosin that Reid did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mosin.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	214344

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I think Reid Coffield did a flush magazine conversion of a Mosin Nagant that was featured in the Shotgun News. Magazine capacity was reduced, of course, but it was single stack, and might work for you.
    Der Gebirgsjager: I have that article and this is the goal, appearance wise. The Nagants action has provisions to hold and feed a cartridge, so Mr. Coffield "simply" had to shorten the magazine. With the M95 there are no provision to hold or feed a cartridge with out the clip, thus the need for a magazine.

I've resided myself to having to make a magazine that will fit into the well. I'm confident that this can be done with a little time.

Boolit Master
    M26 Lahti Saloranta is close to the FPK in size, but is single feed, IIRC. they are available at IMA:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8

Map-- you are correct in everything you have said, but originally desired not to have to make something from scratch, hence the suggestion about the Nagant magazine. As I recall, Reid also had to remove one leg of the follower mechanism and adjust the spring.

There have been several suggestions to use the Mannlicher M-95 magazine system. This also has merit, as the 8x56Rmm is a fat, rimmed cartridge and the clips are designed in such a way as to keep the rims staggered. Senior forum member emeritus Buckshot has treated us to views of his re-barreled M-95 in .30-40 several times now, but I don't know how that modification fits into your plans.

Certainly, you are embarking on an interesting project, and I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress. Some guys can start with a mill file and a block of steel and make it into an operational firearm!

DG

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    M26 Lahti Saloranta is close to the FPK in size, but is single feed, IIRC. they are available at IMA:

\
    Justashooter: Good recommendation. The catridge's rim is just a .02 wider and the right length. Not sure about the shoulder, but its the closest I've seen.

Can anyone tell me how wide one of these things are?I'm guessing the bulge on the side is housing the spring.

Name:	lahti.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	214355

Map-- you are correct in everything you have said, but originally desired not to have to make something from scratch, hence the suggestion about the Nagant magazine. As I recall, Reid also had to remove one leg of the follower mechanism and adjust the spring.

There have been several suggestions to use the Mannlicher M-95 magazine system. This also has merit, as the 8x56Rmm is a fat, rimmed cartridge and the clips are designed in such a way as to keep the rims staggered. Senior forum member emeritus Buckshot has treated us to views of his re-barreled M-95 in .30-40 several times now, but I don't know how that modification fits into your plans.

Certainly, you are embarking on an interesting project, and I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress. Some guys can start with a mill file and a block of steel and make it into an operational firearm!

DG
    Hello Der Gebirgsjager: This project is currently in the thought stage. I need to finish a few others first. My first thought was to adapt something, but I'm no foreigner to building from scratch. Here are example:

Single shot 223 Rem

Name:	IMG_2863.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	214357

Name:	DSC_0206.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	214358

I need to get this one off the bench. M98 shortened ~1.2" to be chambered in 45 ACP using 1911 mags

Name:	IMG_4767.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	214359

Very ingenious, Map, and enviable workmanship!

Very ingenious, Map, and enviable workmanship!
    Thank you Der Gebirgsjager. The design for the single shot was the brain child of my mentor, Mr. Sanders. Mr. Sanders is 95 and while he isn't comfortable operating the equipment I can still get him out to shoot once in a while. Since I am of the non-retired type, time is limited. However I do get him to the shop one night a week to work on projects. As Mr. Sanders would tell you the shortened Mauser is a problem I brought upon myself.

Name:	Bill Sanders.jpg 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	214364

Name:	IMG_4699s.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	214365

Name:	IMG_4700s.jpg 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	214366

A good, even great, thing that you have such a good relationship with the old gentleman. I'm age 75, and am of the retired persuasion. I guess I'll tinker with firearms as long as I'm able, but it is already at a much reduced level.
    DG

I want one of those Sanders model rifles. A hammer fired bolt action is cool!
    Mapp55b; I'll give you a FN Modele D magazine to slice & dice as you see fit. It may be long enough but it's for 7x57 I believe.
    Last edited by Texas by God; 02-16-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Numrich has them in stock. Stripped.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/507670

And complete.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/507710

They utilize a semi permanent clip like device that is very difficult to find. But I have heard of people modifying the regular clips to work.

Quote Originally Posted by junkbug View Post
    Numrich has them in stock. Stripped.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/507670

And complete.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/507710

The utilize a semi permanent clip like device that is very difficult to find. But I have heard of people modifying the regular clips to work.
    Junkbug: This is the part I wish to eliminate.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Mapp55b.
    Mr. Sanders calls all the home built jobs JB for Just Because, pictured is JB6. Not the sixth designed, but the sixth design to be built. There is a folder full of JBs. If we do extensive modifications to something existing, its called a WN for Why Not. So we have the JB series and the WN series. JB6 was designed for simple construction. It has no extractor and no ejector. The bolt is removed completely from the action and has a built in shell holder to hold the case.

Boolit Master
    The Ross magazine uses two incurved spring plates to retain the rounds,new rounds are forced through the springs......if the springs are replaced with plates,the rounds must be inserted from forward and pushed down and back.....this is the system used in just about every cheap 22 magazine from year dot....Slow,but it works.......now ,why cant you simply fix side plates with incurving lips into the mag well,the rims to fit behind the plates,and be retained from forward movement by the plates.The plates would probably best be tig d at a couple of spots onto the existing guard,if cut short,.....if left full length,the rivet the plates on......A w spring if short,existing lifter if long.

Boolit Master
    the lahti 26 mag is about the same width of an FPK, and 26 mags have been modified by trimming of feed lips to work in FPK back when FPK mags were so dear. they are both double-stack, but the lahti is single feed while the FPK is double feed. I bought some a few years ago at a show from a guy who had no idea of what they were.

the lahti round has been called 7.62X53, and appears to be actually shorter than the 54mm russian round, but with same shoulder placement in relation to rim, and with shorter neck, for less case length and OAL, but not to cause non-interchangeability in use... some conversions to 54r FPK use involve drilling out the spot welds on the back-strap of the magazines and removing the thin filler strip from the inside.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Mapp55b; I'll give you a FN Modele D magazine to slice & dice as you see fit. It may be long enough but it's for 7x57 I believe.
    FND mags are 30-06 length, like BAR. some FND were made in 7X57, but used same mag. the FND A-1 was made in 7.62X51, and used FAL metric magazines in israeli service. in any case, they are for rimless cartridges, so of no use.

Name:	cover.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	214742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover 2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	214743
    Last edited by justashooter; 02-21-2018 at 02:04 PM.

FND mags are 30-06 length, like BAR. some FND were made in 7X57, but used same mag. the FND A-1 was made in 7.62X51, and used FAL metric magazines in israeli service. in any case, they are for rimless cartridges, so of no use.
    My Spanish Mauser (30-30 Win)was meant for rimless too. That magazine will do what Mapp55b makes it do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

the lahti 26 mag .....I bought some a few years ago at a show from a guy who had no idea of what they were.
    Justashooter: Could I trouble you to measure one of these magazines for me? I'd like to know how wide they are(outside). Thanks! -Mike

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by map55b View Post
    Justashooter: Could I trouble you to measure one of these magazines for me? I'd like to know how wide they are(outside). Thanks! -Mike
    I will try to dig one out and measure tonight. offhand, i would say that they are just under 7/8" wide in the body.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12