RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What uses a single stack 303 Brit or 30-40 Krag magazine?

What uses a single stack 303 Brit or 30-40 Krag magazine?

Can anyone name something that uses a single stack 303 Brit or 30-40 Krag magazine. I'm looking to adapt one for a project and would prefer not no make it from scratch if possible. Thanks!

Boolit Master

Navy Arms made a 45-70 conversion of the Enfield for a few years. Not sure if they modified the magazine followers though.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

If you don't mind the expensive plastic, a Tikka T3 7mm magnum magazine might could be made to work. The inner diameter would accommodate those two rims easily. You might could do something with a Mosin Nagant magazine as well. But to answer your question I cannot think of a single stack 303 British or 30 40 krag ever being built.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

maybe you could use the Austrian straight pull stuff? get ideas?

Boolit Master
    I doubt this is an economically feasible alternatives but it's the only one I can think of.
    https://www.forgottenweapons.com/rif...gton-lee-1899/
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    Ross Mk III has a single stack mag thats made of sheetmetal......has a complicated spring/lifter setup tho.

All of the navy arms 45-70 conversions ive seen have had new mags. They just uses two sheet metal strips spaced just far enough apart to hold down the rim and let the case body past. They are just long enough to align the round with the chamber so it will feed. It cannot be clip loaded as rounds must be feed into the mag from the front. If that makes sense. Like the mags in the old marlin bolt shot guns. I have one in the safe I'll dig it out and post a pic, it should work for any rimmed cartridge if a guy got the spaceing right.

Banned
    Back in the day, Mauser Werke made sporting rifles to use rimmed cartridges. The magazine was canted to the rear a bit and cartridges were loaded with each rim in front of the one above it. The Savage 340 used a Magazine that worked with 30-30, so it can be done.

Boolit Grand Master

The original Lee rifle used a single stack in 45-70. You will have to make one from scratch and make a new floor plate for the rifle also. The Gibb's rifle used the standard 303 mag poorly modified and it would feed two or three rounds only, three with work.

Thanks for the good information and suggestions guys. My intent is to eliminate the Mannlicher bottom metal on a Steyr m95. I had obtained a Bren magazine, but there ins't enough room to get it in there (width wise, I would have shortened it IF it would have fit). While I haven't looked at this in a while, I am now thinking I will make a single stack magazine that may only accommodate 2-3 rounds so I can keep it below the wood line. It may need to be removable to load it, but I almost prefer that as long as it doesn't protrude too much below the wood line. I've played with many of other bolts handling rimmed cartridges, so no worries there. One just needs to make sure to "stack" the rims correctly if the magazine doesn't do it for you automatically. With what I have in mind, there will be no way not to stack the cartridges correctly. Of course, I need to (should) finish the projects on the bench first.

Boolit Master
    The first British Lee, the Lee-Metford, had a single-stack magazine. I haven't seen the concealed part of one, but I imagine it as being like that of the 1899 Remington-Lee, in which you can see slits at the top rear to let the magazine lips spring over the cartridge. You aren't likely to find either of those without a rifle attached, and the price would probably make your eyes water if you did, but you might be able to see a specimen or drawing which would let you copy it.

I would keep the Mannlicher magazine, though. It is a beautiful piece of machining, too good to discard, and makes a useful palm rest for a standing shot. If I was using a scoped rifle, I believe I would make a hinged floor-plate to load from the bottom.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/rif...gton-lee-1899/

Boolit Master
    Take a look at the magazine for a Savage 340 or Rem 788 in 30-30.
    They are both single stacked for 3 rounds of rimmed 30-30.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Take a look at the magazine for a Savage 340 or Rem 788 in 30-30.
    They are both single stacked for 3 rounds of rimmed 30-30.
    Thanks EDG, but the 30-30 is about .5" too short.

Boolit Buddy
    Probably too expensive an option but I think the Russian SVT 40 was single at the top lips.

Boolit Master
    It's been a while since iv'e seen one but will a m95 feed rounds without the en bloc clip? If so would the magazine from a rem 788 in 6mm be an option?

The new veprs have a single stack 7.62x54r mag.....

Boolit Buddy
    You could look for a Steyr M95M magazine which has the bottom hole covered over. It will screw right on. Then modify the internals for some type of semi permanent clip or feed lips.

I think Reid Coffield did a flush magazine conversion of a Mosin Nagant that was featured in the Shotgun News. Magazine capacity was reduced, of course, but it was single stack, and might work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by junkbug View Post
    You could look for a Steyr M95M magazine which has the bottom hole covered over. It will screw right on. Then modify the internals for some type of semi permanent clip or feed lips.
    Junkbug: Can you find me an example of this?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    It's been a while since iv'e seen one but will a m95 feed rounds without the en bloc clip? If so would the magazine from a rem 788 in 6mm be an option?
    1Hawkeye: The clip is necessary in a stock rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clip.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	214343

The 6MM rem is also a bit too short and too narrow. Thanks though..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast