Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Gunsite Carbine

Boolit Master

Gunsite Carbine

Who's shootin' the 308 model of this with cast and what did you find out?

Boolit Master

Using the Ranch Dog 180 grainer GC/TL as my practice load. The "war shots" are Barnes TTSX 130's at 3000 fps zeroed at 225 yards; the Ranch Dogs are about 2200 2300 as as I recall, and are close enough to zero at 100 yards with the same scope setting that the water bottles and dog food cans typically have a bad day.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    I'm thinking the same as you, 130's. I'm going to try the NOE 150gr spire point gc with 5744.

Boolit Master

I tried the Barnes 110 and 150 as well, but the grouping with the 130 Barnes is simply PHEEEE-nomenal. One thing worth noting is you may not have room in the magazine to seat them as close to the lands as you might like. There's slightly more room inside the metal mags than the plastic ones. I tried a plastic one last fall just to see if the rounded corners would be more comfortable to carry - the nose cone of the Barnes ran into the front wall - so that got returned ASAP.

One nice thing about the Scout is that the magazines give you a single column feed right down the center of the action, instead of the right-left-right methodology laid down by Mauser. The result is that feeding is super slick, and you can run a fairly aggressive meplat (like the Ranch Dogs) without concern. Obviously, your spire point will give you a better BC, but cast in my case is more about blowing stuff up.
    WWJMBD?

I have a RGSC. I do not shoot cast with it but I did work up a dandy 130gr copper solid load with 3031 that shoots into less than .5 MOA. I bought a few thousand of the bullets from americanreloading.com lastd year. I believe they are Barnes but I am not certain. Anyway, with the short tube, I figured a light solid with fast powder would be the ticket and it seems to work well. I removed the silly muzzle brake.

Boolit Master
    Thanks lawboy, why remove the spark arrestor?

Boolit Bub
    I own a Ruger #6822 Scout. The only changes I made was sanding down the inletting fuzz in the barrel channel and resealing and replacing the bottom plastic with a Pacific Tool and Guage bottom metal. Scope is a Burris 2.75x Scout mounted in American made Weaver Top Mount rings. I made sure all screws were properly torqued. Rifle is extremely accurate. I've shot multiple sub moa 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I've shot more than a few sub moa groups at 300 yards as well. I averaged all the groups ( worst to the best groups I've ever shot ) and I'm at just over 1 1/4" ctc. All groups were 5 shots. This was with the factory ammunition I bought at first and the loads I've developed over the last couple of years. I think that is impressive! I'm currently shooting jacketed spbt but will be trying cast in the next year or so. I know this has all been somewhat off topic, but I love talking about this rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Because it's too loud would my answer��

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I left that in place, but the Scout rail and rear peep went away RIGHT quick - like before round#1 even went down the tube. Running a Leupold 2.5-8 in the standard scope location.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scout After.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	214180
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Master
    I tried a quickly put together cast load today, it did good enough I'll load some more. I'll pull the bird cage off the muzzle and try that too.
    Thanks