Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Super Redhawk Target Grey Wear

Super Redhawk Target Grey Wear

Bittersweet day for me.

Had a kydex chest rig made for my 480 SRH but the "draw" wear on gun seems so aggressive. I've read that the finish is relatively weak and is why Ruger dropped it but I'm pretty surprised how little it took to wear off.. 24hrs and it has years of character..

Anyone come across similar wear to their target grey guns? I can't find anything online, not sure if the holster maker is at fault or not, if anything differently could've been done. Had it made locally, dropped the gun off yesterday, finished, picked up today and BAM, wear all over contact points.

Sucks but it happened so now I wondering what would be the best durable finish to restore the gun? Obviously I can't have the original treatment redone, so send it to Ruger to have it polished like their current models or something else, any recommendations?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chest Rig 1.jpg   Chest Rig 2.jpg   Wear 1.jpg   Wear 2.jpg   Wear 3.jpg  

Last edited by Rug480; 02-14-2018 at 04:18 PM.
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.

Cerakote of KG Gunkote will wear better. Both are available in a lot of colors. But the gun needs to be torn down, cleaned, media blasted, sprayed and then the finish baked on after it was applied. I have done KG gunkote with good results already, not that bad.

Boolit Buddy
    I would give it a brushed finish with burgundy scotch-brite. For me, having a finish I can easily touch up myself is the best in the long run, especially if you use Kydex as a holster material. The slightest bit of grit in the holster and you're scratching the finish.

Well I communicated to the holster maker. He apologized and will send my money back and I can keep the holster. I guess I can use the cash to send to Ruger if I wish, only $95 per the rep I spoke with to have it polished like the new models.

It striked me as odd the gun would be scratched that badly so I tried aggressively rubbing some kydex on the barrel and couldn’t duplicate the wear. When I picked up this holster there was a bunch of little kydex bits in the holster, my suspicion is he kept holstering the gun for fit with that **** in there which acted as an abrasive

I actually was a little successful with good ol 0000 steel wool and clp, reduced the damage by some, not nearly as bad now and didnt affect the rest of the finish. Took some 3000 grit sandpaper and rubbed the inside of the holster. Sure enough I’m not seeing any new wear to the gun. Looks like this could’ve easily been prevented but it at least she looks much better.
    A nice cigar makes a bad day good and a good day great.