Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Automated sizer and GC seater

Boolit Buddy

Automated sizer and GC seater

Today there is a lot of good automated equipment both for casting and sizing. The fully automated machines costs a lot of hard earned money but they are as necessary as lead for the casting business to meed the shooting/reloading communitys demand for good boolits.

With this in mind there seems to be one thing missing, in my opinion, and that's an automated sizer who also crimps on gas checks. With hardball alloy this is not necessary for most boolits but with growing interest in highpower cartridges like the 460 among others, gas checks are necessary to get full house loads, am I right?

Why is this gap present in the available machine park? I can see that this is no easy machine to get to work flawlessly but with a lot of complex machinery for everything else, I'm surprised if this is impossible to make. I'm sure there is a lot of commercial casting businesses that would be interested in a machine like this. If I could get an ad-on for my Bullet Master who would seat gas checks I sure would order one!

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    I suspect the demand is to low to justify the R&D costs and the cost of building a limited run.

Anything can be done for a price but it needs to be extremely reliable to make it commercially viable.

The best example I have is automated shotgun wad feeder systems. We know factories have them. It is a much bigger market than GC cast bullets, but no one has come up with something affordable or reliable.

Another is the automated Master Caster. Many here have done it and it is relatively simple. Cost is about $1500 or so, but Magna has never offered it as an upgrade. You would think they would have a good sized market.

The Dillon primer filler does a decent job of doing a boring task but most of us are too cheap to even get one of those.

One thought for you. Go to a University near you that offers Mechanical Engineering. Sometimes they are looking for challenging projects for their students. It will cost you nothing for the R&D and a working prototype. You could offer to purchase it if it meets your expectations and even if they do not sell it, you will learn what may work. There is a lot of talent there to tap into.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Not enough demand, and it is much more complex than just collating bullets point up or down in a tube. The Dillon primer filler is the only thing that I have ever taken back to them. The best I could get it adjusted was 1% of the primers in a tube were flipped the wrong way. Tried lots of brands of primers then gave up on it. Someone later gave me one, and I tried again with the same result so I sold it. Now that I use a 650 where I can see the primers before they get to the point of insertion, I might use one and stop and flip ones that are oriented wrong.

-yarro