Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: casting #1 buckshot and Lyman sabot

casting #1 buckshot and Lyman sabot

I saw the post on buckshot perfection and noted that his buckshot was cast from 7% antimony lead. That seemed pretty rich alloy and wondered what options I might have. My original intention was something like COWW + 3% Sn for the #1 buckshot. After reading the results with harder shot I have to wonder if I should add some linotype or type metal to the melt for the buckshot

Was thinking of using 50/50 COWW/Pb + 2% Sn for the Lyman sabot mold being fired from a rifled barrel.

These just what I was going to start with for an alloy, but am open to other ideas. After all it will take about 67 casts to load a box of 25 it just makes sense to make them as reliable as possible.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

pellet deformation in buckshot loads with soft lead is very noticeable and results in lots of flyers. This from shooting scores of different loads and retreiving stray pellets. Thus, harder lead along with buffer helps soften the load on setback. For the lyman 525s the converse seems true. I found that overfilling the cavity with hot glue and trimming flush keeps the wad from jamming into the base of the slug without the use of of a hard card that may not fit the skirt perfectly. As for lead hardness the denser soft lead in this case allows rifling to grip the slug better through the wad or in smoothbore to fill the bore completely. Fit is most important and there is often a substantial difference in shotguns. Generally a tight fit with soft lead allows it to swage through the choke. Hard lead in this case will create excess pressure. In both cases, buck and slug, higher velocity can often produce faster misses and discomfort to the shooter. My experience anyway and hope this helps.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Hogtamer it was your most excellent write up I was referring to in the OP. Thanks for the personal confirmation. I have some hard lead, about 1.5 x linotype alloy for both tin and antimony. I can use that for the shot. Just don't like to waste good alloy where it isn't required. How does water dropping work for buckshot?

Sounds like I might be better off casting the slugs out of some Pb/Sn alloy. I'm thinking from what you are saying that around 5% Sn similar to what I would use for hollow base wadcutters might be good for slugs. My initial thought was there needed to be some hardness to handle the rifling. I will also have a chance to make some of the 7/8 oz. and 1 oz. Lee slugs in 12 gauge.

In 12 gauge slugs will go down a rifled barrel. In 20 gauge I don't have one yet so I'm going to stick with #1 buckshot. Takes screw in chokes. Not sure how well those will do with non-ribbed slugs. I'm just getting around to reloading for shotgun. For small shot it almost makes more sense to buy bulk ready made. But buckshot and slug are pretty pricey so worth making. Besides 525 grain will deliver a most impressive thump on a target.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    To each his own FWIW I cast slugs 50/50 pure lead / WW's .

I keep buckshot on my shelf in all sizes from #2 up to 00000 . But the only ones I cast are 0000 and 00000 . Those are cast from straight WW's .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines