Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: PPU 6.5x55 brass

Boolit Buddy

PPU 6.5x55 brass

Has anybody bought and used the PPU (Privi Partizan) brand of brass for 6.5x55? I've bought and used 8x56R Steyr and had good results/quality...How's the 6.5x55?...I'd like to buy Lapua but doubt it at a buck a case

Boolit Master

Its a lot better than Hornady's 6.5x55!
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Banned

I've used a lot of PPU brass and it's pretty good. The thing with the 6.5 Swede case is you have to mic the head of it. If it mic's about the same as most 30-06 family cases it's not up to specs for the Swede. Look at a drawing of the Swede case and see the measurement near the head. One company that does make 6.5 Swede cases to that spec, or close to it, is Norma. Now with that said there is no reason you can't use the other brands. Once you fire it, it blows out and fills the chamber (except the head end which shouldn't expand or you have reached dangerous high pressures) then you're good to go. Some people form the 6.5 Swede from 30-06 brass to get the thicker necks to help accuracy, but it's a little more involved then just blowing the case out. If you are interested in that pm me and I'll tell you how to do it.

VZ

Boolit Master
    PPU brass is CIP compliant true 6.5x55 spec. I bought a bunch of loaded 139 grs PPU ammunition and have subsequently used the brass. I have reloaded some of that brass at least four times now and had nothing but positive experiences. I have had an issue of loose primer pockets with 8x57 PPU brass but no issues with 6.5x55.

Boolit Buddy
    IMHO for 6.5X55 Lapua brass is the best . Case heads are machined , flash holes are drilled , primer pockets are uniform & neck thickness is uniform . It sure cuts down on brass prep . They come with anealed necks & are tough , you get more reloads out of them than any other brand . Norma brass is also very dang good & offer all the characteristics of the Lapua , except they're softer & don't last quite as long . All the US made brass in this caliber sucks . Case heads are undersized & you have to uniform primer pockets , debur flash holes , check necks etc. Plus they're all using 30-06 case head diameter which is less than 6.5X55 specs . Federal is soft & primer pockets open up to the point they won't hold a primer . R-P cases have thin walls . Winchester & Nosler are probably the best American made , but you still have all that case prep & cases are not uniform . Don't know what your loading for but if you're going to be reloading target or hunting rounds for a modern action it's worth spending a few more $'s upfront . If your loading for a Swede Mauser , Krag Jorgenson or cast loads then your pressures will be lower . If you have a old Ljungman they eat cases so buy the cheapest . I too have been curious about the PPU brass & the price is attractive . I just bought 100 Lapua & 200 Norma last month . Powder Valley or Bruno's usually have best prices on Lapua & I got the Norma from Grafs on sale . Monmouth Reloading also has good prices . When your looking for the less than common you have to shop around . If your looking for hunting or match bullets PM me & I'll give you some leads on best prices I've found . I'd also be interested in your experiences with PPU if you go that route .

Boolit Buddy
    No problems with it(purchased both empty and loaded)

Boolit Master
    I was given 100 once fired cases and found them all to be a waste of time. Way too soft. I've had good service from domestic brands though.

Add me to the satisfied with PPU brass group. I've been using it for two years in 22-250 and .243 with no problems. It's becoming the brand I seek out when buying new brass for a new rifle. My LGS only carries Winchester brass and I'm not buying that- it's down there with Federal rifle brass IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I as well. Have 50 or so I use. Bell branded are really good too. The necks crack way to easy with the other brands.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

PPU brass in 6.5 X 55 and 303 Brit have provided me yeoman's duty in case life. I use WW for 06 and 7.72X39.