Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Ruger America rifle twist too Fast ?

Boolit Buddy

Ruger America rifle twist too Fast ?

I am shooting a NOE 225-55 MX3 grain GC in a 223 XP100 with a 1-12 twist very well. ( 19 grains H 4895/ no filler ) Searching for a rifle now & Ruger comes with a 1-9 twist. Is this twist too fast for my favorite boolit ?
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    The Ruger American Rifles have a 1-8" twist.

My Ruger American likes the 52gr Speer and Berger HP's and 20gr. Rel7, so I don't think you'll have problems with a 55gr boolit once you find the right load. I've found that it is VERY particular about bullet seating depth and prefers them to be seated rather long. I haven't shot any cast through it so no help there.

Boolit Bub
    I've not shot cast in my RAR but I've had no issues with 55gr vmax (sub moa if I do my part). Since its chambered in 556 it does shoot better with the bullets seated long. 1-8" does favor heavier bullets but it should shoot 55gr stuff fine.

Boolit Master
    I have a RAR with the 1/8 twist. I have been meaning to buy the lee mold for the 55g 224 bullet but never got to it. I have only shot factory ammo I got with the rifle for demo. I decided to keep it for me that is how much I like the little bugger. Still have one box of 55g J points left. If I had some cast I would run it down the pipe for you and give you my results but out of all the molds I have 224 is not one of them. I am sure one of the other guys here can give you the answer you are looking for. But mine is 9mm brass killer at 100 yrds with 55g j words and a 4x16 scope.