Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Question on electroless nickel

Boolit Buddy

Question on electroless nickel

Have any of you bought/used a home electroless nickel kit? I'm contemplating it, but I'd like to hear comments on its ease of use for someone who is doing only a one or two time, hobby level, of plating rather than running it in a commercial shop.
    Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Boolit Master
    The chemicals are expensive,and have a short effective life......I know quite a few who have done motorbike parts,but you definitely need to organize sufficient items to use up the kit,or it will prove very expensive..Like all plating,you cant be careless about water purity ,and keeping things clean......there are also disposal issues........dont tell the EPA.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have several books on NI plating, both standard and ENC. Very difficult process for a few occasional simple home brew projects. I checked into the chemicals locally from a good chemical distributor and the prices almost floored me. Your home will almost need an "environmental disaster area" rating. And a few of them are not even available to the general public.

I gave up after researching the different methods and have any Ni plating of antiques I need done by a professional plating house.

Tons of stuff was Ni plated B4 chrome plating was discovered and came into fashion. But back then they did not worry about chemicals, personal health, and disposal topics! Just dump down the drain or in the river!!!!

There are those little toy kits out there I have seen on line that use a small DC transformer, some "magic" solution in a little bottle, and a swab applicator, but quality and thickness may be very questionable.

Good luck if you choose that fork in the road.

banger

Moderator Emeritus

Lots f reviews here and Caswell has been around a long time. I use their tin plating kit for circuit boards! http://www.caswellplating.com/electr...ting-kits.html