Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Cast Bullet Expansion

Cast Bullet Expansion

Years ago my brother and myself did some simple expansion tests using wet telephone books and found that anything over 10 BHN would not expand even at .357 velocities. Anyone else have this experience?

From what I remember we had some 9.5 BHN bullets expand to the size of a nickel. And these were just plain old Keith type boolits in the 150 to 160 grain weight.

ACC

Boolit Master

Years ago myself and a friend were shooting 1911 .45ACP pistols. I was shooting 230 Round nose; cast from wheel weights (back when Wheel weights contained 3-6% antimony). He was shooting commercial full jacketed "Hard Ball". Our target was an old Water Well (Thick Walled steel Zink/Tin plated pressure tank). All my rounds penetrated the tank at 50 Yards. All his rounds mushroomed and were found at the foot of the tank.

Not sure that this provides a quantifiable/measurable comparison; but it does provide some range comparison at 1911 .45ACP velocities.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

If talking non HP, probably correct. I use 1-20 alloy for cup points & HP & get good expansion 1000fps-1250fps depending on the HP design.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Years ago myself and a friend were shooting 1911 .45ACP pistols. I was shooting 230 Round nose; cast from wheel weights (back when Wheel weights contained 3-6% antimony). He was shooting commercial full jacketed "Hard Ball". Our target was an old Water Well (Thick Walled steel Zink/Tin plated pressure tank). All my rounds penetrated the tank at 50 Yards. All his rounds mushroomed and were found at the foot of the tank.

Not sure that this provides a quantifiable/measurable comparison; but it does provide some range comparison at 1911 .45ACP velocities.
    Yeah it doesnt really correlate. Bullets hitting steel or dirt not the same meat or gel or wetpack.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Few years ago I tested NOE HP bullet in 38 spl on milk jugs filled with water. air-cooled bullet mushroomed and was recovered in 3rd jug. A water quenched one went through 3 jugs and hit the wood backstop, it didn't deform the slightest. This was 125gr bullet.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk