RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silver?

Moderator Emeritus

If it is 80% pure Kitco buys scrap for about $12 an ounce... but it makes a neat paperweight! Make a goofy mold and pour a giant boolit!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    US coinage (by date) is an absolute know silver content and is “provable”, unlike a “hunk-o-junk” you cast in your backyard. I have a lot of silver (not sandwich) half dollars in my bank box that are valued more than the spot price of silver because they are a certified silver content. But they are “provable” by being in US dated mint coinage form.

Boolit Master
    When I needed a lot of silver solder,I checked prices,recovered(a bit),and got out the old coin collection...........no,they cried,dont melt collectable coins,take them to a coin dealer........which I did........anything less than UNC,he offered me bullion ,at his idea of a price........so into the melt they went....Waste of time trying to sell precious metals to a dealer,they are all of one persuasion,and wont give true value for precious,which they hoard.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can sell it for $40-$50 and it is something that most have been throwing away as worthless dross, I'd say that you done good.
    Don't listen to the naysayers.

Moderator Emeritus

I have been buying and selling US silver coins for years, unless you have mint state (MS) coins they are scrap silver except for rare years/mint marks. Typically sell maybe 25-50 cents over spot at most. Sold some Mercury dimes not to long ago and most sold for that, I had a few rare ones that I sold individually.

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    US coinage (by date) is an absolute know silver content and is “provable”, unlike a “hunk-o-junk” you cast in your backyard. I have a lot of silver (not sandwich) half dollars in my bank box that are valued more than the spot price of silver because they are a certified silver content. But they are “provable” by being in US dated mint coinage form.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Your 64 quarter is common junk silver worth $3 or so... without a good picture I can't say what condition might add... A plain 64(no mint mark) in MS-64 condition(like from the mint, no defects at all) is listed at $12.40 right now, actual retail is usually 80% of that... a 1964d is worth maybe $1 more... https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/...s/quarters/38/

If anyone ever cleaned it it is junk silver value, take price of silver and multiply by .715 for silver content in $1 face value of silver coins. Divide by 4 for a quarter. As I type this silver is $16.96 an ounce...
    Yeah, I traded coins a little, way back in the day so I had a pretty good idea it wasn't worth much. I keep it around (along with a pile of other junk) cuz they don't make 'em like that no more.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned
    Aside from this narrative about whether silver in this condition has value: I would like to commend you for your work on just getting this ingot. It must have taken quite a while according to the method you described. Not many people would have the wherewithal to do what you did there. I hope you can get it tested and it turns out to be high content silver. Please let us know what you find out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    When I needed a lot of silver solder,I checked prices,recovered(a bit),and got out the old coin collection...........no,they cried,dont melt collectable coins,take them to a coin dealer........which I did........anything less than UNC,he offered me bullion ,at his idea of a price........so into the melt they went....Waste of time trying to sell precious metals to a dealer,they are all of one persuasion,and wont give true value for precious,which they hoard.
    Bravo...It is refreshing to see someone use common sense in the face of collector hysteria!

Banned
    I have been buying and selling US silver coins for years, unless you have mint state (MS) coins they are scrap silver except for rare years/mint marks. Typically sell maybe 25-50 cents over spot at most. Sold some Mercury dimes not to long ago and most sold for that, I had a few rare ones that I sold individually.
    When silver prices spiked to nearly $50 an ounce a few years ago, I sold off all of my old (scrap silver coins) Somebody paid me over $50 an ounce for the collection on eBay. I was shocked. But there is hysteria for you. Too bad it was only a couple hundred dollars worth.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Aside from this narrative about whether silver in this condition has value: I would like to commend you for your work on just getting this ingot. It must have taken quite a while according to the method you described. Not many people would have the wherewithal to do what you did there. I hope you can get it tested and it turns out to be high content silver. Please let us know what you find out.
    Traffer,

Thank you! Sometimes when I get a silly idea in my head I just have to scratch the itch. It was really exciting to see those first little silver balls start to form! I would say they started out about the size of #8 lead shot. Soon as I can get up to the scrap yard I will have my mystery ingot and my pewter ingot scanned to see what it is and will report back.

Moderator Emeritus

I keep some on hand just in case. Takes very little room...

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Yeah, I traded coins a little, way back in the day so I had a pretty good idea it wasn't worth much. I keep it around (along with a pile of other junk) cuz they don't make 'em like that no more.

Banned
    I keep some on hand just in case. Takes very little room...
    I still have my favorites. I love em because of their beauty. I don't have the money to collect coins so I collect pictures of coins now...seriously..I will share some with you....Attachment 214449Attachment 214450
    These US Pattern Coins are the coolest. But way out of my league to collect. Some are silver some are bronze.

Boolit Buddy

What years are these and the face value?

You can always make some Lone Ranger bullets.

Moderator Emeritus

Mercury dimes are my favorite followed by the Morgan Silver dollar but they hold to high of a premium for a junk silver collector like me. American Silver Eagles are nice too and a few years are VERY collectible and carry a corresponding high price. I sold off all my slabbed and graded collection, when it comes down to needing silver to barter(and a lot of people around here do barter it! I have a 1/2 a pig coming that was a silver trade) I prefer worn and "junk" US coins because everyone knows what they are. Have to be careful with half dollars and silver dollars, lot of chinese counterfeits so know your seller!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flyer1 View Post
    What years are these and the face value?
    I believe these are 1869 - 70 or thereabouts Quarter patterns. I don't know much about these type of coins. I just happened to see them on eBay and copied the pictures. They are called United States Pattern Coins. An author named J Hewitt Judd has written books about them. The name Judd is almost always associated with them. You can find more info on the internet or by looking on eBay.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks. Very cool looking.

Boolit Master

Interesting posts
    Watching
    Mike

Boolit Master

Mercury dimes are my favorite followed by the Morgan Silver dollar but they hold to high of a premium for a junk silver collector like me. American Silver Eagles are nice too and a few years are VERY collectible and carry a corresponding high price. I sold off all my slabbed and graded collection, when it comes down to needing silver to barter(and a lot of people around here do barter it! I have a 1/2 a pig coming that was a silver trade) I prefer worn and "junk" US coins because everyone knows what they are. Have to be careful with half dollars and silver dollars, lot of chinese counterfeits so know your seller!
    Was not aware of that, thanks. I knew they were counterfeiting gold coins with tungsten but didn't know about the silver coins. I have been collecting since 1959. Love US silver coinage.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Was not aware of that, thanks. I knew they were counterfeiting gold coins with tungsten but didn't know about the silver coins. I have been collecting since 1959. Love US silver coinage.
    I quit collecting coins and silver about 7 or 8 years ago. Then they had some Buffalo head 1oz silver bullion rounds that were counterfeit from China but I didn't hear about anything else. Didn't really seem worth it to go the trouble to counterfeit something only worth $20 or $30.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast