Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Marlin 30-30

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    I saw a Remlin at Walmart for about 350 but I would rather have a JM. They would not take off the trigger lock to let me look at the bore or work the action so I walked away. I was looking for a good Marlin to scope for my older eyes. This seems to be Winchester country and I don't see many Marlins for sale. I did get a couple of waffle tops a while back but rarely see a used Marlin.
    As to the safety? Big deal about nothing. I have a couple of Marlins with the safety and never had a problem with them. As 725 stated they are a bit safer to unload. There have been accidents where people have been shot while unloading a lever. They are not really a safety anyway as one cannot carry them cocked and locked and depend on them to shoot by disengaging the safety.

DP
    "They are not really a safety anyway as one cannot carry them cocked and locked and depend on them to shoot by disengaging the safety." I don't understand this part of your post. Though it's not my usual practice, I can very much carry my 336 chambered and cocked with the safety on and disengage it to shoot. Could you explain what you meant?

Best regards
    Doc

I just sold a pre safety JM Marlin NIB for $350. I think I let it go to cheap it only lasted 10 minutes
    in a small show. I didn't want it and had taken it on trade. It was a JM but to new for me. Marlin
    products started to suffer in late 70s, early 80s. They were feeling money problems before Rem
    got them. I will say the worst JM I've ever seen was better than the best Rem has put out. I was
    in bussiness for 20+ years and never recall sending a Marlin back. That's saying a lot, during this
    period Savage was the worst, Rem 2nd with Win & Ruger coming in 3rd.

Doc. If I engage the safety on my Marlin and put it on full cock I can pull the trigger the hammer will fall but the rifle will not go off. If carried and using the cross bolt as a safety you could unknowingly have the hammer fall and then if game is seen disengage the safety and the gun will not go off.
    The cross bolt is a de-cocking mechanism and good for unloading. It could be used as a safety but one would need to keep an eye on the hammer position. It would generally work in the cocked and locked position but it is not as reliable as the 45 ACP practice. I prefer to just use them as a de-cocker and for unloading.

DEP

Boolit Buddy

DEP, thanks for the clarification, and yes, I agree. Like I said, I don't usually use my cross bolt safety as a safety, but there's no intrinsic mechanical reason why I couldn't. I also have a new-to-me JM, pre-safety 1894 and agree that one has to be more careful unloading it than with the safety-equipped models.

Best regards
    Doc

There were some comments on another site concerning some one from another state complaining about how cold the weather was at 20 degrees or so. Would not go hunting in such frigid weather. Deer hunting in Northmn is generally done in 20 degree weather and can feel a bit balmy in early spring, especially after a stretch of 20 below not 20 above. I started carrying a couple of those chemical hand warmers in my pocket as I one time got a slightly frost bit finger gutting a deer. Reason I bring this up, is that sometimes, ones hand dexterity is not at its best when operating a lever rifle. The cross bolts make more sense in some situations. I have both and don't mind the cross bolts.

DEP

My 88 year old father uses his safety on his Marlin 1894 CL as cocked & locked when game's afoot. When it's not he uses the half cock. He beat it into his brain and retained it when I explained it to him. His stubborn son (me) does not like them at all..... they aren't a deal breaker but I would rather not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12