MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Historic Levergun .30 Caliber "Short Range" bullets & a replication

Historic Levergun .30 Caliber "Short Range" bullets & a replication

In the early 1900's Ideal came up with the idea of offering lighter versions of some of their standard bullets with the intended use being for what they called “ShortRange” shooting. In those days, "Short Range" could be up to 200yards.

The 125 gr. versions worked as they were intended…. plinking, small game hunting, target practice,etc.

The 308206 & 308206-125 were for the .30 U.S. Army (30-40). Bullets 308241 & 308241-125 were designed for the .30-30 & .303 Savage. Even so, the bullets could be used interchangeably.

Awhile back I thought it would be interesting to do the same thing to a current Lyman .30 caliber bullet. So I purchased another Lyman 311041 mold and had it shortened to drop a 125 gr. bullet like the -125's of yesteryear. That was prior to the existence of Accurate Molds, or otherwise I would have had Tom make one.

Thankfully,the 311041-125 has proven to be a good performer in my .30-30’s, perhaps even abit better than its older brothers .......

\

Fun, fun,fun.

w30wcf
    Last edited by w30wcf; 03-09-2015 at 09:04 AM.
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting, I can't help but wonder about the 308206-125 or the 308241-125 as a GC boolit for a high-velocity varmint load. I don't think the 311041-125 has enough of a shank for a GC, does indeed look like a good plinker and small game load.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

The 308241-125 would be better in that application than the 308206-125 because the nose diameter of the latter is way undersized. In lieu of a gas check one could use a .06" thick polyethylene disc as a g.c. under the plain based bullets. I tried that under the standard 308241 (156 gr) and accuracy at 2,000 f.p.s. was equal to the RCBS 150 gr. G.C. bullet.

I'll have to give the .06 poly disc a try under the 311041-125 and see if 2,500 f.p.s. is obtainable with good accuracy......

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Grand Master

I'll have to give the .06 poly disc a try under the 311041-125 and see if 2,500 f.p.s. is obtainable with good accuracy......

w30wcf

Sounds like fun. I like a plinker but a screamer is fun now and then. Between that nose design and a respectable shank portion I wouldn't be surprised if you make it to 2500.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For similar purposes I had Tom at Accurate Molds cut 31-125D and 31-155D for me, which are optimized for .30 cal. rifles and will engrave on the forepart like chambering Eley Tenex in your Winchester 52.

These were modifications of my former 31-114D for the .32 S&W Long and 31-134D for the. 32 H&R Mag rifle and. 303 British.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-17-2015 at 12:52 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Outpost75 and w30wcf;

I really enjoy learning about the 'short range' boolits/cartridges and the history concerning why they were developed. I think they are as useful today as they were back then. I've also experimented with these short range loadings, and they are a lot of fun. I appreciate Your time and efforts spent on posting this info so others(like myself) may learn from it.

bones37.

Boolit Buddy
    How much difference was there in point of impact from your full hunting load?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My iron sighted .30 cal. rifles, both .30-30 and .30-'06 are zeroed to put factory 150-grain full power softpoint loads "on" so point of aim equals point of impact at 200 yards, which I have determined from long experence is the "maximum deer range" when shooting with iron sights. The "small game" loads with 6 grains of Bullseye in either caliber, shoot close to point of aim at 50 feet to 20 yards, holding the bead center of mass on the bunny. For longer range I use the heavyy bottom.post of a Duplex scope reticle as the holdover piint, or adjust elevation.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    w30wcf

Would you explain how the poly disc is used in protecting the base of the boolit? Is a filler used to support the disc or a slow burning powder used with the disc resting on the powder column? Thanks!
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    w30wcf

Would you explain how the poly disc is used in protecting the base of the boolit? Is a filler used to support the disc or a slow burning powder used with the disc resting on the powder column? Thanks!
    I had the same question as I use a card system in my 38-55 for hotter loads and 4198 in my 38-55. To maintain no air gap I use shotgun buffer as filler for my non gas checked bullet.
    They did have some issues with the sighting system on the old lever rifles and load variation. The "close range" loads were likely designed to stay with the range of sight adjustment.

DP