Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Rebarrel a M95 Styer????

Boolit Grand Master

Rebarrel a M95 Styer????

Has anyone ever heard of someone doing it?????
    I got a free one and was trying to figure what to do with it.
    I have another one I shoot. Its' one of those fakes with all the WWII German markings on it.
    Not sure what caliber would work with the stripper clip.
    Something easy to find and reload.

Boolit Master

I really like Buckshot’s conversion. Saw it many years ago here and it stuck in my mind forever!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master

Buckshot did his in 30-40 Krag - said it was not difficult at all, and showed pics of the minor changes needed on the clips.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

My friend did one in 6mm Ackley Krag Long, a 30-40 wild cat. I'm planning on a 30-40 Krag on one that I have and adapting it to a single stack magazine to eliminate the en bloc clip and junk hanging under the stock.

Boolit Master
    Extractors are pretty hard to find,but if you are capable of replacing a broken extractor,you will have an unusual gun.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got one of the de-milled ones with a slot milled thru to the chamber. I've thought about putting a 30/40 barrel on it. I checked and the magazines will feed 30/40 OK.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just thinking out loud.
    I need another project, like another hole in my head.

Boolit Grand Master

I did mine in 410 shotgun had it posted here once.

Banned

I believe Buckshot did one in 30-40 Krag?? Jump in Buckshot and tell us.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Just thinking out loud.
    I need another project, like another hole in my head.
    No, this project is even better than a hole in your head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepan...ry_trepanation

It is a strong, compact, reliable action, and there is pretty good availability of parts and stripper clips, e.g. from Numrich Gunparts. I like the magazine, which makes a good palm rest for a standing shot.

The 8x56R Hungarian round is a good one if you have a good bore, apart from the availability of bullets, on which there was a thread somewhere. The Austrian 8x50R is effective, but has an undesirably short neck, especially if cast bullets are to be used. I think the best alternative cartridge for it is the 7.62x54R Russian round, but it can be adapted to the .30-40 Krag by bending in the lips of the clips, and probably altering the extractor. The latter isn't easy, and extractors are harder to get than most parts, so you don't want to ruin one.

My 1895 is an oddity, a 7.7x60R sporting rifle. The cartridge is described in reference books as a combination gun cartridge, which I don't believe, as you don't need a bottlenecked case for that, and others are rare in such weapons. I have heard that it was one of Professor Hebler's experimental series, and it would be very valuable if it wasn't resurrected by me from a derelict and rusty barrelled action. When I shot it I made cases from the German 6.5x68R, with a .58in. rim. Anything .45-70 based would be more difficult unless you turn the rims down, but it has been done.

The only real problem is that although the solid receiver bridge lends itself to scope fitting, it is impossible to load clips under a conventionally placed one, and difficult to operate the otherwise excellent safety. One possibility would be to convert the magazine to bottom-opening.

I have seen several disembodied 1895 actions, and while I don't know about all of them, they didn't have the 1.04in.x14 thread some reference books say. The diameter was very close, but it is about 12tpi pitch.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 02-15-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    I believe the tenon thread is 1 1/16x 12 tpi,and I think the thread is actually 60deg form,not 55 deg Whit as in a 98......This is the thread in the Steyr bolt guns.....and surprisingly,you can buy a threaded insert,very nicely made,from an industrial hydraulic component supplier.