WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Digging through the trash cans

Boolit Grand Master

Digging through the trash cans

Guys think it's funny watching me dig through the trash cans at the range.
    Kind of gross, but I can't help myself. Hate to see things go to waste.
    I look for cans, bottles, ammo boxes, shells, and what ever other goodies I think I could use.
    On Sunday I found an unopened box of CCI standard 22lr ammo, and a unopened box of American Eagle .223 ammo.
    Who's laughing now!!!!!

Boolit Master

I used to feel ashamed of my self. Now i do it proudly. At the range, the ones that look at me funny, i just tell them i am collecting my lunch money because the wife is stingy on the budget. i keep an eye on dumpsters for woods, pallets and totes. If i can recycle it and save a buck i will.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

the lady range officer helps me pick through the trash on the firing line, mostly good ammo boxes and not hardly any yechy stuff.

Boolit Master

Man when I go to the range at the club here -- I have a great range behind my house but try to stop in and shoot once in a while. Another member there is always trying to pick up my fired bras and I have to tell him HEY! I use that brass thank you....

Ruh-ro...crazy, I better leave .......

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

Free is good!
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Banned
    Heck I will bring home empty ammo boxes just so I don't have to buy more plastic ones.

Boolit Master

Its all fun and games till some one swears you took their match Lapua brass.....even after claiming innocence and they inspect you like a criminal. They still cant find it in your bucket they then lecture you. Yes i am still salty about that. Don't loose your brass and blame the dumpster diver. Instead of an apology i got a lecture.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I can relate to the feeling ashamed for looking through trash cans. But I can also relate to using everything I find and saving money for what I find.

Moderator Emeritus

Who cares what others think. We are all on this site, right?

long time ago I was dig threw a trash can when a guy came up to me and started to lecture me about that. I told him that every thing I get out of the can is used and does not sit in a dump for years and years decomposing. then I just happened to look down there was a cig. pack with a $10 and a $5 and $3 one's in the celifane he shut up and never said another word about it to me. not only did I get trays ammo boxes I got a good lunch out of that can. so some times it does pay to look in the cans. D Crockett

In Remembrance

Boolit Buddy

I am a brass addict. My friend got me into it. I pick all brass even those calibers I don't shoot.

Boolit Master
    one mans trash is another man's treasure. I am still using steel I picked out of the dumpsters at one place I worked. when I go to the club or a shooting match I pick up brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    one mans trash is another man's treasure.
    Ditto.

And Abunaitoo, I am happy to report that the shotshell hulls that ya likely had to pick up that you sold & sent to me from Hawaii work just fine here in Minnesota. LOL
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

One range I go to I always look for left brass before I start shooting and if it is a busy day I do it again before I leave. I have even had some folks when they were done bring me their brass as they don't reload. It is interesting what folks leave behind some good a
    lot of it is really bad. I used to shoot south of the city I live in in the desert, one weekend my church group and I went out and picked up trash and filled one of those huge trash containers that trucks haul, two weekends later it was just as bad as when we cleaned it never been back
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master
    LOL, I check the trash cans too. Have dumped one on a table to get the brass. Heck, was at the range last week and spotted two empty 30-06 boxes in one trash can, looked in the other and there was 40 pieces of O/F '06 brass!!!

I do the same, I have found lots of good stuff in the dumpsters behind the Harley Davidson dealerships.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Yes I am a trash addict too. My wife is a brass addict. When we go to the range we look for brass first, then shoot, then brass pick again. I also mine the berm for lead. Last week I found 37 308's in the trash, picked up 200 223's and 50 pices of 38 special brass. Love the non reloaders. Use a fan(scratch) rake to rake top of the berm because there is so much lead sitting on top and hardly any dirt comes down with it. If there is some dirt I will scoop it up and throw it back up on the berm. Use my sifter and shake out some trash and dirt, pick out bigger pices and throw them away and bucket the the lead.

Boolit Master

Years ago I would go to the range and the trash would be overflowing. I started taking the Trash Bags out of the cans and putting new empty bags I bought at the Big Box Store into the Trash cans. (no spare Trash Bags on site) I now haul the Trash from the range each time I go, and keep a roll of Trash Bags at the range. I periodically get another shooter say something to the effect of "So your the guy picking up the Trash. I wondered why the Range started getting cleaner". I also picked up a bunch of White 5 Gallon Buckets from one of the Restaurants and put a sign on them at the Range "Brass Only". Sooooooo now each time I go to the Range I dump the White Buckets into a plastic bag for later sorting, and haul the Trash bags to the house where I can sort for brass and trays IN PRIVACY. Burnables get tossed into the Wood stove in the Spring/Winter/Fall so I get augmented heat, other trash gets taken to the Dump with household trash. Benefits: Less going to land fill, No more trash build up & blowing around the range area, and the Club does not have to worry about the Trash Issue.

Of course; people being people - were it widely known I was collecting the Brass and Trays; someone would complain. Probably same person/s who looked at the Overflowing Trash cans; asking why no one picks up the trash and takes it to the dump.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    And just when I thought I was the only "dumpster diver" around!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast