WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
PBcastcoLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman 310 seater stem size question

Lyman 310 seater stem size question

So since my regular .308 winchester dies are set up for a specific load now I've deemed my .308 Win 310 dies as cast bullet specific and have been loading various loads with them both with the tong tool and on the press.

My question is this, how many different sizes of bullet seater STEMS are there as far as thread pitch and diameter go. NOT the bullet shape but I mean is there one specific to small pistol, small rifle, large pistol large rifle? or just small and large? I have a very narrow range of 310 die sets and to me it looks like there are two sizes of "stems" used in so far as what I have on hand.

Reason I ask is recently I've found it is most handy to have a sheer/flat faced seater stem for very wide meplat bullets such as the MP 30 cal hunting hp bullet. I wanted to set about lathe turning stems appropriate for my various die sets and for anticipated future sets that are both flat and turned with a recess to allow a JB weld/acraglas custom seater profile if needed.

Thanks for any help, it took me a long time to begin to understand just how useful the tong tool was and now I wonder how I got along without it. Need to work on making more 310 tong tool parts on the lathe. It's very handy to have around.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    Wonderwolf, I started digging in my 310 stash and already found 4 different stem variations. the smallest is from .22 Hornet and .218Bee at .248 and .249 dia x 36 TPI . The second size are from several .30 cal sets and a .32spl and are .292 to .294 OD , x36 TPI. The next size came from a .35 Rem and 9mm at .327-.328 x 30 TPI . The last size I found was from a .44 Spec set at .396 x 30 TPI. I just bought a set for 45-70 on e-bay, haven't got it yet so I don't know if there is yet another size! At one time I thought about making some 310 parts till I found my Atlas won't cut a 30 thread. Hope this helps, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post
    Wonderwolf, I started digging in my 310 stash and already found 4 different stem variations. the smallest is from .22 Hornet and .218Bee at .248 and .249 dia x 36 TPI . The second size are from several .30 cal sets and a .32spl and are .292 to .294 OD , x36 TPI. The next size came from a .35 Rem and 9mm at .327-.328 x 30 TPI . The last size I found was from a .44 Spec set at .396 x 30 TPI. I just bought a set for 45-70 on e-bay, haven't got it yet so I don't know if there is yet another size! At one time I thought about making some 310 parts till I found my Atlas won't cut a 30 thread. Hope this helps, Jim
    Ouch sorry your lathe wont turn a 30 TPI...that is more than annoying. Looks like my SB wont either, Guess I can always modify spare stems.

Thank you very much for your in depth info!

You might want to post your findings on one of the 310 resource threads....this is the one I started a while back when I first started learning about all the oddities that are the 310 dies. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...esource-thread
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

I'll have a look at my 310 items later today, I bet there is another size in there for the intermediate caliber over 22 and smaller than 30.

I haven't been able to turn any of the Lyman pitches on a standard lathe, as most are not setup for ultra fine threads. The CNC on the other hand is awesome, type it on and go to town.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master

Don't even think of threading dies. I figured I'd get a set and be able to clean threads on my 310 stuff. Started looking and pricing, GULP! Nearly all are special order and are they pricey./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Don't even think of threading dies. I figured I'd get a set and be able to clean threads on my 310 stuff. Started looking and pricing, GULP! Nearly all are special order and are they pricey./beagle
    Something like this in a very small format would be perfect for cleaning up external threads. I've used similar tools before on medium threads and they work VERY well. Only issue sometimes is the part is not long enough to be fully supported.
    My firearms project blog

My 12" atlas with a change box cut 30tpi -- Made several handle adapters on it -- Had to cut the 2 or 3 threads turning chuck by hand -- not quick enough to use the half-nut lever --
    I now use a grizz 7x14 that will also cut 30tpi plus a peck of other odd threads -- changing gears is a bit of bother though --
    there is a very useful gear change chart on "al's shooting page" -- i think that's the name -- it is for mini-lathes ---