Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Powder measure problem

Powder measure problem

Long time no see everyone!

Well after about a year and a half I finally got my bench put together, pulled my Lyman 55 out and the clear pvc fell off. Either I didn’t clean it when I put it in deep storage or the rubbing alcohol residue that I usually cleaned it with ate on the plastic. I can get the piece back on but I’m not sure if it will Leak when I put powder in it as it comes off with minimal effort.

So 2 questions

1: can I get parts for it?

2: would gorilla glueing it back on work til I can buy a new measure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I'm assuming you are talking about the plastic cylinder, if so...I have an old gray Lyman 55. Same thing happen, this was years ago, and I just super glued it on. I haven't had an issue. It was in the early 90's that I glued it back on.
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Buddy
    Or replace it with glass -
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman 55.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	214087

Boolit Grand Master

A wrap of clear tape around it one or two layers on the bearing side will tighten it up also. Glueing will work and be as effective. use an epoxy of clear silicone. the foaming of some gorilla products will make a mess and be hard to clean from inside. actually if its loose as you said you have about the ideal clearance for glues.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by warpspeed View Post
    Or replace it with glass -
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman 55.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	214087
    ^^^this have one on my ole RCBS duo-measure, replaced the soda bottle hopper fix they make one
    for the Lyman, great company.

https://dramworx.com/products/lyman/

-Rock

Boolit Master
    You can Get a Replacement Direct from Lyman. If yours is a Snap in . Snap it Out and snap it in. If yours Is Threaded. Lightly heat the end with a heat Gun and The base Of the measure not too hot to melt Then Start the thread whil Holding The heat Gun on the metal rim.
    Remember Easy Not too Hot
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master

Being a "do it myself" kinda guy I thought about buying some clear plastic/acrylic tubing and make my own hopper. But I looked up the prices of 3" clear tubing and found I could buy a new measure for the price of some of the offerings (most come in 3 ft. lengths)...

So, I'd say either a new hopper from the manufacturer or a new powder measure...

Did you try duct tape?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I second getting the parts directly from Lyman. I have a cheap friend that made his replacement from pvc pipe.

Boolit Master
    The correct way Is Get It from Lyman as was said. The Cheap way Is the wrong way.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    If you have the 55 that uses a threaded reservoir the replacement reservoir for the 55 black powder measure is threaded and fits the early measures.If you want it in brass Buffalo Bullet has one that will fit.

Boolit Grand Master

I must defend the "cheap way". I believe with all my heart the statement "the cheap way is the wrong way" is 180 degrees off. No factory replacement part will be any better than the OEM part and I have "home made" items that surpass the factory produced parts in quality and serviceability. Anybody ever make replacement drums for their tumbler?

But you first have to know how to properly use hand tools for fabrication (I've seen fellers that don't even know how to properly use a hammer!), which after frequenting reloading forums for a few years isn't a given...

In this case a factory replacement is the cheapest way to go....
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I had a similar issue with my old Redding(the plastic on the Redding will discolor and distort if you leave powder in them.) So for a couple of years the measure was retired to the "it needs work pile". I located a replacement at a gun show. Not exact but good enough. I used silicone sealant to fasten the new piece in place. Figured that would be easy to remove when I got the correct one. Finally got a replacement but never bothered to replace as the glued in one does not / has not discolored.

Finally heard back from Lyman the part is 12$ shipped so now just waiting on it to get here. Thanks for the info might do some of the upgrades at a later date!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk