PBcastcoLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Paper Patching with oven Paper

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Paper Patching with oven Paper

Helo Everyone,

I want to load my .45-70 marlin I bought in the 1980´s with a black powder load.I plan to paper patch it and was woundering if this paper they sell for baking things in the oven could be a good choice.

This is probably going to be a one time deal, just for the heck of it. Any problems using standad loads for a jacked bullit for a cast boolit? 405gr. I won’t be loading it to the max. Probably a medium Load.

Thanks

Greg

Boolit Buddy
    i don't think parchment paper would make a very good patch based on my patching experince i have had good luck with standard 20# copy paper but have moved to 9#, my first experiments with paper patching were with standard copy paper i like to patch wet let dry lube the patch with lanolin and bees wax mix and then run the bullet through a push through sizer

as you are just starting out i recommend using your lever gun as a single shot as the loading of the magazine and the cycling into the chamber can be hard on the patch and since your just getting started i wouldn't add anymore extenuating factors than i had to

as far as loading with black you will need to used brass with annealed necks in order to get a proper gas seal and you will need to thoroughly clean the gun when you are finished not just the barrel but the action as well i played with some bpcr loading when i got my 45-90 1895 i quickly decided if the gun can handle smokeless loadings those are my preferred loadings

if you are planing to seat the bullet into the rifling undersized and have it bump you will need to use very soft alloy or pure lead, i used paper patched pure lead cup point bullets deer hunting this year at 1700fps out of my marlin guide gun and found them to be very accurate also i have only ever used standard grease groove bullets for patching as i have never gotten around to acquiring a straight sided pp mold but also haven't found the need

Boolit Master
    Not commenting.

I shoot a Marlin 1895 strictly with black powder but use grease groove bullets. 50 rounds with only blow tubing works for leveraction matches. For hunting, the one or two shots you will take makes grease groove bullets a practical choice and blow tubing not needed. For the velocity at which .45-70 works with black or smokeless powder, paper patching does not seem practical.

That said, I do paper patch .30-40 and .30-30 ammo for general purpose as I get good accuracy with no leading with soft bullets at 1800 to 2400 fps. No problems with lever guns feeding or damaging the patches.

I do not think that oven/baking parchment will work very well for patching as it is pretty heavy and does not stick to its self well. A standard tracing paper works much better. You can get a pad for 2 or 3 bucks at Wally World or a craft store.

Good luck and have fun.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned
    Use Alliant Black. I can shoot 20 from my 45-70 with no loss of accuracy. Then one smokeless round gets it 80% clean.

I wrote the “paper 101” thread.

Only way to know if oven paper/parchment paper will work is to try it.

The paper itself is very strong- which is good. I believe it has silicone in it, or surface applied to it. That will make it difficult to have paper wrap stick/adhere to itself. It also likely has a high level of wet strength resin in it ( to give it water resistance from cooking/baking). That too would interfere with sticking to itself for a good wrap.

Also, there is the issue of dimensions ( bullet diameter, paper thickness, bore diameter, final bullet wrap diameter). They all have to “work.”

The only way to know is to try it, and report your findings. Good luck