Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: .451 Hunting Bullet for Deer

Boolit Master

.451 Hunting Bullet for Deer

Got the itch to try something out, but looking for the voice of experience from the group... I have had a great deal of luck and satisfaction in paperpatching bullets in my muzzleloaders thanks to Idahoron... Killed whitetails with both my 50 RMC flintlock and 45 Knight inline with no problems... but have an itch to shoot a lighter bullet with flatter trajectory, but still want it to be very lethal , not marginal at least out to 200 yds... I have been contemplating something in the range of 330-350 grains(I now shoot 407gr).. and thinking of possibly a hollowpoint like the Gould... from what I have been able to gleen from some searches this bullet is devastating as long as the alloy and velocity are within design parameters for blackpowder. As stated, I am happy with the current performance of my rifle/bullet combination, but thinking of tweaking.(Forgot to mention what I am using in the .45...Ron's recipe: 11mm RCBS 370FN(cast from pure lead runs 407 gr) paperpatched with 2 wraps of #9 onion skin.)

Thanks in advance for helping this old codger out... when I think too much I get a headache!

Kindest regards,

TheMoose
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    I shoot the same boolit (11mm RCBS 370FN BHN 9 PP ) and I do not know of a better choice ,but if you find one please post as I am always looking to increase my mold selection

Boolit Grand Master
    Question: What's the cast dimension of that boolit? I've got a .45 ML I'm looking to feed.

Boolit Master
    its .446 and it is paper patched up to fit my ml.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a fun project. I tried to shoot some pistol bullets but never had much luck. I do have a Pedersoldi mould that is 350 grains. I am thinking about selling it. it is a .446 mould.

Boolit Master
    Not familar with that mold Ron. Being on a fixed income, old and cheap (perhaps borderline "a brick short of a load"). I was trying to come up with something like "The Perfect Country Western Song"... thinking of something in .451 so that I could use it with grease lube filled if I wanted, sized down to .446 and paperpatched if I wanted or to use in a sabot for 50 Cal if I wanted... and leaning hard on a hollowpoint design like the Gould...

Is the Pedersoli a plains bullet design? hollow or solid?

Hope you are on the mend from your health issues...time for you to get ready for your fishing season and only about 8 months left for next hunting season...a good excuse to burn some powder... thanks again for all the help you have given me over the last couple of years.

TheMoose

Designing such a slug could be a real fun project.
    Wouldn't need a flat point for expansion so streamlining could be used.