RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Back in the day...

Boolit Master

Back in the day...

Lord, unloading crates in my new shop and what do I find?
    Oh for the old days.....Attachment 214078
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

yep that was really the Good old Days

Boolit Master
    The first time I bought primers and didn't know anything yet, they were priced at $1.79/1000 so I bought all they had on the shelf. It wasn't until much later I discovered they had accidentally put the tag for 100 on the box of 1000. The 16 year old girl at the checkout had no clue either and didn't catch it. I knew the owner of the Scheels store pretty good and did a lot of business with him. When I tried to return them minus the few hundred I'd used, for being honest about the mistake he let me keep a thousand of LPP, LRP, SRP, and five thousand SPP's. If I recall I had originally purchased around thirty thousand or so of all sizes.

Still have 2 full 1000 ct packs with $7.90. Always look at those next to the ones that say $27.99.

Boolit Master
    When I started reloading primers. Were $7.00 per 1000. After my Dad passed away 2 years ago, I found a brick of Remington primers that were tagged $7.25 they were stored i n a garage in South Texas for over 45 years. I recently used them and every one went bang.
    G

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I'm still loading with a few that I paid .99 cents/100 for. But I made much less. Not sure how that compares to now.

Sheesh I started reloading a little over a year ago, so, $41 per 1000 is the going rate including sales tax. Someday I'll probably be paying $141 and not think too much of it. ( Hmmmm.. Could be as soon as a couple years after the next election...........oh no....................
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Buddy
    I used to go to the San Antonio gun show each month (almost 20 years ago). I'd buy 5k in small primers one month and 5k in large primers the next month. I'm down to a couple thousand small primers and 11k in large primers. I paid $75 out the door for a sleeve of 5k. I cringe when I look at the prices now.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm so old I was paying $3.90 a brick when I started handloading.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Lightman, on U.S.rt. 8 between Canton & N. Canton Oh. was a Gun store where I paid $1.00 for a Hundred LR Primers, @$3.05 an hours wage in '55, was that really the GOOD Days??, Fivefang

Boolit Grand Master
    When he was in high school, my cousin had a side hustle... he gathered up night crawlers and sold them by the dozen to fishermen and stores that supplied fishermen. Everything he bought or had to pay for (movies, etc) he would mentally catalog in terms of how many dozen worms it cost. Money is just a way of keeping track of how many worms (how many hours of work time) something is going to cost you. When I was in college and making $1.15 per hour, $3.90/thousand for primers would have been over three hours of flipping burgers... a pretty significant commitment! Even a brick of cheap 22s would have set me back a day's wages. It's all in your perspective.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Jay's Sporting Goods...I stop every time I'm up that way!

Boolit Bub
    My wife and I love going to Jay's. The new location is Gaylord in much better than the old one just down the street.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    I still have 3 bricks of alcan primers and they still work

I still have some white box Winchester’s from back around Clinton’s AWB.

Boolit Master
    I just looked at old American Rifleman adds, 1938, the new IMR powders @ $1.60 # and primers cost $3.25 K. Now a 1950 example from a Hodgdon ad, IMR or Hercules powders at $1.80 # and primers at $6.50 . To me it seems like the powders have inflated more in today's prices than the primers.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    When I started to reload in the mid/late 1960s. The guy at the gun shop, who taught me about reloading and casting, used the formula for reloading: penny for the primer(actually about 3/4 cents per.) penny for the powder and a nickel for the bullet(jacketed rifle bullet)= about 7 cents for a loaded 30-06. Pistol was a little less with a jacketed bullet and a lot less with cast, 6 1/2 cents per round / less than 3 cents with cast for 38 spcl.. I was making about 20 bucks a week working at my Dad's Electrical shop after school and on Sat.