Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boolits Sizing for 9mm Question

Boolit Bub

Boolits Sizing for 9mm Question

Hi all,

I'm getting back into casting/reloading and I dusted off my Lee TL356-124-2R this weekend and cast up about a 1,000 from wheel weights. I powder coated for the first time (thanks for the help Smoke) and know I am wondering about sizing them.

I plan on feeding them to a Glock 19 (yes I have read up on all the Glock - cast boolits issues and threads...but thanks for any concerns)

I do not have a sizing kit for 9mm so my question to you all is should I opt for .356 or .357?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Boolit Buddy
    I would go bigger them .356! Over size have made my 9mm on target, to my liking��

Boolit Bub
    Eddie, what do you size to?

Boolit Master
    I size to .357 for 9 mm cast bullets. The bullets are powder coated. Use the same bullets for 38 Special loads. With powder coating have never had any lead in the barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Can you slug a polygonal barrel? Find out and get a sizing die one or two thousands bigger.

I use a .357 myself but it really sizes .3564. Luckily I get no leading in the many pistols I use them in.

I size .358" for a couple 9mm's.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Bub
    I size .3565 for my Sig MPX ( slugs .3550), but size .358 for all of my other 9mm's. Id take the above advice and slug your barrel, or just size .358.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks all, I’ve never slugged it but I’ll figure out how and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I'm different that the others because .357 doesn't pass the plunk test in my Springfield so I go .356 however if I could get away with it I'd go .357 also.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
    Hi all,

I'm getting back into casting/reloading and I dusted off my Lee TL356-124-2R this weekend and cast up about a 1,000 from wheel weights. I powder coated for the first time (thanks for the help Smoke) and know I am wondering about sizing them.

I plan on feeding them to a Glock 19 (yes I have read up on all the Glock - cast boolits issues and threads...but thanks for any concerns)

I do not have a sizing kit for 9mm so my question to you all is should I opt for .356 or .357?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    I use the same boolit & I run them "as cast". They are usually around .356 - .357. ( I can't remember if I "beagled" those with tape or not).

Regardless, my 9MM slugged at .355 & I get -0- leading or any other issues. I lube them with 45/45/10 lube as well.

If they are casting at .356 or .357 & you should be OK if you barrels groove diameter is at around .355. Just want to keep the "boolits' at 0.001+ to 0.002 larger than the groove size of the "grooves" in your 9MM bbl. diameter & lubed well.

G'Luck!, regardless!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

.358 works in all 3 of my 9mm's and 4 different .380's. Works fine in my .38's, as expected.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    .358 works in all 3 of my 9mm's and 4 different .380's. Works fine in my .38's, as expected.
    Same here..... I load for 4 different 9MM's, 3 different 380's, and 6 different 38/357's in the family and all work perfectly sized .358.

Boolit Master
    I just sold my Glock 19, but while I had it I fired boolits sized to .358. I use the same size in my LC9s Pro, and my .357. Never had leading in these handguns. I'm going to get a CZ 75 SP-01 next week and will shoot the same sized boolits. I've been using White Label Lube's Carnauba red for the last 10 years with no leading in any of my firearms.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

.358 works well in all but 2 of my 9mm pistols.
    My Springfield Range officer pistols require .357 or smaller to function properly.

Boolit Mold
    I have the same mold, and my gun shoots fine with them now. I can't chamber a .368 in my S&W M&P Pro--I guess a tight throat. The barrel also slugs at barely over .355. I'm pretty new to casting though, and I ended up using the .356 Lee sizer after two PC coats (tried .357 & .258 first). I've not shot too many rounds through it....only enough to make sure that it cycled, that there was not too much pressure on the primers, etc.. No leading yet, but that is my fear. I've heard that I may need to ream (or otherwise enlargen it) so that I can run a little larger boolit, but I'm trying to make it work as it is, including the factory barrel.

Boolit Mold
    .358 for 9mm and 38s

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I PC them out of that same mold and don't size at all. I let the taper crimp take care of it.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Buddy
    When I shoot j-words, they are 0.355" and shoot great. For cast, I like 0.356" and have not had any issues.

Make a slug, slug your barrel and send the slug to Dardas Bullets who will mic them to four decimal places then recommend what size is best for your barrel, make your bullets +.001 to .002 larger than your barrel, PC them then size them to the size they need to be. Load them, shoot them. I slugged my Sigs barrel after having severe leading and found it slugged at .356 which is the diameter of the bullet I was using. Now I use the same mold you are talking about, PC them and size them .358. You are really guessing until you slug your barrel. To make a slug put some fishing weights on top of a 9mm case. Heat the case with a propane torch or lighter. The lead will melt and drop down into the case. Let it cool and knock it out with a impact bullet remover. I keep several slugs on hand to slug other peoples barrels, but, the slugs (usually 2-3 of them) go to Dardas for measurement.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Bub
    thanks for the slug tutorial bbogue1, I'll give it a go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast