Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Lew Horton commemorative 625-4

Boolit Master

Lew Horton commemorative 625-4

Picked this up a month ago, looked like any pre lock 625 and it shoots great.
    Was looking at serial number and started wondering what was special about it.
    It started life as a Lew Horton Springfield armory special. Only 500 of these made but apparently the first owner didn't like the Springfield logo in gold on side plate ot the wording on the barrel and polished it all off.
    For the price I paid I'm not going to complain at all but why would someone mess with a low production gun.
    Love the gun, another one off my bucket list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0753.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Great catch! I had a Lew Horton 624-3 and like a blithering idiot I sold it. One of the greatest regrets in my gun career...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I recall only seeing one of those decades ago, nice find!

Boolit Master

This one is #245 out of 500 made, was looking for a nice S&W 1917 but found this, can't believe the trigger both single and double, only my old Dan Wesson is better.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a nice find!

I never cared for the "Bling" on the gun, but it is what it is. IIRC there were a dozen or so made as "overruns" without the special Springfield Armory markings.

Since I have a 625-6 converted from 5" to MG configuration I'm not looking for one of the Springfield Armory marked guns, but I'd sure be tempted if I ran across one for sale at a reasonable price

So how do she shoot? My 25-5 shoots very well but it has an 8 3/8ths barrel blued.

Boolit Master

It shoots real good, had a mix of hardball and target swc and was keeping 3-4" groups at 25 yards. Sure it can shoot better with one type of ammo and more practice on my part.

When I first seen this post I was thinking of the gun store I use to go to years ago. It was name the same Lew Horton and they had deal alot in firearms and reloading. Thanks for the posting of the gun.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Jerry Miculek showed me his back about 2000 when I did a private class with him. It was very nice and had the SA bling on it. Later, S&W ran it as the 625-6 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP (pre-lock). I have one of those with which I've killed a couple dozen Texas whitetails. It's a great working revolver with ACP or AR loads and it's never going away!
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Buddy
    Trapper - Lew Horton's, the retail store on Rt 135 in Framingham, MA closed years ago. I worked there back in the mid/late 80's for almost 2 years, great place with good customers and coworkers. I know the distributor part of the business carried on, but I'm not sure if its still going. 69Daytona - that's a great find. I remember selling quite a few of the LH special run S&W handguns thru the store years ago. I wish I had the foresight to have picked a few of them up for myself. I remember a few of the 625 models, and I recall seeing a blackened 686 come thru the store, it was and still is, the only one I've ever seen in person. Congrats on your new wheelgun! Bill in MA

Boolit Buddy

Like Stubshaft,, I had a Lew Horton 624, and I stupidly sold it. I've had and sold a lot of nice guns with no regrets, but that 624 earns the face-palm.

Quote Originally Posted by msp2640 View Post
    Trapper - Lew Horton's, the retail store on Rt 135 in Framingham, MA closed years ago. I worked there back in the mid/late 80's for almost 2 years, great place with good customers and coworkers. I know the distributor part of the business carried on, but I'm not sure if its still going. 69Daytona - that's a great find. I remember selling quite a few of the LH special run S&W handguns thru the store years ago. I wish I had the foresight to have picked a few of them up for myself. I remember a few of the 625 models, and I recall seeing a blackened 686 come thru the store, it was and still is, the only one I've ever seen in person. Congrats on your new wheelgun! Bill in MA
    That is the one I am talking about and that is the time
    i use to go there with my Dad .I had got some guns there back then an reloading supplies.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 69daytona View Post
    It started life as a Lew Horton Springfield armory special. Only 500 of these made but apparently the first owner didn't like the Springfield logo in gold on side plate ot the wording on the barrel and polished it all off.
    Nice gun. I wonder if it was used for CC. Many don't like bling on their CC piece.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

I have one of the 625-4 Mountain Guns.

The versatility of that one gun puts it at the top of my list of keepers.

An all day plinker when loaded down using whatever makes you happy.

A serious carry gun with a faster reload than any other revolver.

And lastly, it can be loaded up to accomplish more than most would have thought of.

Great find on one heck of an all around gun, congratulations.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.