WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 Magnum powder

Boolit Master
    Ramshot true blue meters well and clean burning very similar burn rate to unique 7 gr with 158 gr boolits work well for medium loads.

Boolit Master
    Can somebody explain about the powder bulk density, and how it relates to reloading?
    Thanx

Boolit Grand Master

357 Magnum powder

Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Can somebody explain about the powder bulk density, and how it relates to reloading?
    Thanx
    High density means you can fit a higher charge in the case in relation to a low density powder. Say the high density powder allows a ten grain charge. A powder that's half as dense will allow a five grain charge. These are made up numbers but I'm hoping it paints a picture. And I think I have high and low the right way.

Typically a powder burns more completely and efficiently when the case is almost full. So people will use a powder that gives you this while still being the correct burning rate.

Boolit Man
    I have had great groups using Alliant 2400 in the .357mag... caste or jacketed, it's versatile enough for both, with very good accuracy. That said, I use 2400 for full power caste, and Hogdon's Lil Gun for Jacketed...

Boolit Master

.357Mag

Sniper-

Howdy!

Normally I’d have recommended 14.5gr WW296.

Given your desire for lower vel, I’m going to recommend an old Skeeter Shelton load:
    8gr IMR4756 and regular SP primer, under a (Lyman) SWC of 158gr. Boolit weights up to 172gr shoot well also, in my experience.

I’ve heard 4756 is on it’s way out, and it is a tad sooty; but still..... a lot of fun can be had from just one can.

With regards,
    357Mag

I'm also a VV N-110 fan. And I've burned a lot of Blue Dot in 357mag and 41mag. The only problems I've had with the BD is the stinging sensation you get in your shooting hand when you burn a heavy load in one of those light weight 357 snub nose revolvers. Gp

Boolit Mold
    1+ on the 2400.
    I’ve had the best results among the various powders I’ve tried in 357 mag with 2400 powder. I use 190 gr cast. Very accurate, but I do think it may be less tolerant of variations in charge wt as I occasionally notice flat primers in what should be a safe load.

Boolit Master
    I actually load a LOT of 357 with a stiff load of Promo (red dot equivalent).

Promo is king of the lowest $/bang ratio.

It is also bulky. From the chart referenced in post 19, only Hodgon Clays is bulkier.

You can use at least 5 gr with any boolit up to 158 gr. With a 5 gr or more load, a double charge will almost fill the case. With the least little bit of care, the chance of a double charge is next to zil.
    Last edited by P Flados; 03-08-2018 at 11:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12