WidenersPBcastcoTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft heat proof mat

Boolit Bub

Soft heat proof mat

Over the years I have been using tanned Elk hide to drop my cast boolits on out of the mold. The leather tends to get hard and burned and shrinks up, besides the fact my wife and her friends seem to always need leather for their equine hobbies. Go to Amazon and look up welding blanket. I bought one 18x24 for about 12 bucks. Its good to 1800 degrees, its soft so the boolits don't get deformed,theres no fibers that will stick to the hot boolits. I had to try it immediately after it came in the mail. I cast 300 .358 boolits and it works perfect.

I just use a towel with some foam rubber under it. Haven't had a problem so far.

Boolit Master

Old bath towels with an old auto floor mat underneath it. Replace when they get holes in them. Free and easy.

Boolit Grand Master

Good find Relic!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Make sure your old bath towels are 100% cotton or you'll have a mess!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I always drop in water in a 12x18 baking pan with an old terry cloth towel submerged in it. No dents, no burned fingers......and NO COST! I do NOT WD to gain hardness. My PC’ing kills all that. Only WD to avoid burned fingers!

Boolit Grand Master

I use a stack of bar towels in a paint roller pan. 6-7 towels on top of each other. when the pile gets big grab the four corners of the top towel and set aside. start dropping on the next one.

Boolit Grand Master
    2-4 layers of ticking cloth... 100% cotton with a smooth surface and no lint. I've been using the same piece for 30+ years, and refold it as it gets scorched in any one place.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I use a 100% cotton towel over a piece of carpet padding. When the towel gets covered with boolits I grab two end corners and gently roll the boolits to one end then continue casting until towel is full.

Banned

+1 bangerjim. I water drop also and then PC after the pills dry. I get good pills and they are not too hard.

Boolit Grand Master

Hee Hee. One feller tells of a discovery and every post after say "I use...". Plus, every pill I've dropped into water dissolve rather quickly, aspirin dissolves a bit faster than ibuprofen and much faster than Zoloft...
    Last edited by mdi; 02-19-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Hee Hee. One feller tells of a discovery and every post after say "I use...". Plus, every pill I've dropped into water dissolve rather quickly, aspirin dissolves a bit faster than ibuprofen and much faster than Zoloft...
    I don't drop pills in water, occasionally on thee floor but water? never, well except maybe Alka Seltzer.
    Far as the welding blanket goes , never thought of using one for boolits. I do have two, one in the shop for welding and a small 12''x12 in my soldering kit.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Been quite a while since I've done any casting. Either use an old towel folded several times or water dropped. I think one of the silicone baking mats would be good on top of a towel or other pad. rig a sloped platform so that the bullets are dropped, they roll off to the side and keep the drop area clear.

Boolit Master

Been quite a while since I've done any casting. Either use an old towel folded several times or water dropped. I think one of the silicone baking mats would be good on top of a towel or other pad. rig a sloped platform so that as the bullets are dropped, they roll off to the side and keep the drop area clear.

How about a silicone baking tray. Problem is they might bounce.

Boolit Grand Master

Or if you're really tough, just open the mold, catch the boolits with the off hand and set them down easy...

Boolit Master

Ordered a similar one, thanks for the tip!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    Make sure your old bath towels are 100% cotton or you'll have a mess!
    Yeah I find out quickly if the cloths that I use to drop on are cotton or synthetic. I hate loading "fuzzy boolits".

Banned
    The welding blanket makes good sense, soft and heat resistant.

Are we a little overly concerned about damaging freshly cast boolits?
    Automatic casting machines drop the boolit(s) on a metal slide then they fall into a container of boolits

that being said, I also use an old cotton towel

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Not a bad tip I may have to look into that right now I have some foam cut at a angle I lay a towel on so the bullets roll down a hill nice and soft. The only time I have a problem is with 405 gr and 247 rifle they are long and hold heat so deform easy when speed casting.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast